Afterburner for XBox?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by CRyan, Feb 16, 2004.

1. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Feb 9, 1999
    I really want a cool flight game for the XBox. Something like Afterburner back in the day - arcade style. I don't want a sim. Just something with realistic jets that I can fly and shoot. Anything like this at all?

I have looked at Crimson skys, but it looks like it may have too much of a story for me. Am I wrong? I realize these are not jets but it would suit me fine if it is mostly flight fighting.

ANy suggestions?

C. Ryan
  2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Mar 22, 1999
    Crimson Skies does have a bit of a storyline, but you could basically choose to ignore it. You can just shoot all the hostiles (red targets) and ignore the friendlies (green) and play with the NPCs if you wish. There are cut scenes and missions to do but you do have the option of just flying around and exploring, however, this typically doesn't mean dogfighting though.

It's a combination of air combat with prop planes and also some AA fire as you typically get the option of doing missions either by AA guns or via flying a various planes. I think the single player is a little short but a whole lotta fun, IMO, there are a bunch of nicely designed missions. However, there is a skills mission about 2/3rds the way through which is basically non-dogfigthing test of skills that you must do in order to continue and it's not as open ended as I'd like, you must do the missions which are basically the same each time you do them in order to go to a different place or explore a different world.

multiplayer looks wickedly fun, but I haven't tried it yet.