After self-calibrating, DVD and video games look fine, TV does not

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thik Nongyow, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

Jun 3, 2002
    After I received the Panasonic RP82 today, I used the Avia disc to perform a color calibration. Even though the calibration was intimidating at first, I was able to understand what to do and followed the announcer's instruction. After the calibration, blacks are blacks, not dark grays. Images are not washed-up, and the color made them look refreshing, especially while playing video games. I think I am doing correct, but...

While the calibration actually made the picture on DVD movies and video games look better, it seems that when I watch analog TV, the picture did not improve. The TV picture look as grainy as the day I first turn on my Samsung HDTV-ready TXM2797HF. I can assume that the calibration does not affect analog TV and only affects digital sources like DVD or video games.

Any help on this problem?
  2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Jun 21, 2000
    Calibration won't magically make the source any better. Analog cable just looks crappy in general...
  3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jun 3, 1999
    Yes, if anything, you will find that standard 480i television and cable signals look marginal or mediocre at best. You are calibrating your set for optimal performance in home-theater applications--i.e., DVD, LD, or HDTV. You're also going through the process of learning to look at properly calibrated video, which is always much darker than the torch mode in which non-enthusiasts "watch television." SOP.