after market power cords, interesting article

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JohnnyN, Feb 5, 2004.

1. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

I just got through reading an interesting article on the bryston website... To make a short article even shorter, the author leads me to believe that:

you can find the full article here

2. Mike Albano

Mike Albano Extra

It makes perfect sense to me. But this does not mean that a power conditioner would not have a possitive effect on your system, does it?

3. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

a power conditioner, a voltage stabilizer, those make sense to me, I've just been reading so much debunking of snakeoil lately that to be quite honest, i'm not so sure anymore...

I wish someone would publish some good scientific peer reviewed articles on line conditions and power management and the like... Some of these units like the Richard Gray's unit cost more than most components...

In fact, I saw this funny little animated ad on the web from Richard Gray's Power company that said something to the extent of:

Plasma TV - $15000... [fade to black]
    Amplifier - $30000... [fade to black]
    Line Conditioner - $299 [fade to black...]
    HUH???

makes me suspicious when they market their product based on high price associations like that? I paid less than $200 for my monster powerbar 2200, and I thought that was expensive... [​IMG]

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I like this one better!

FWIW, this thread needs to be over in the tweaks section, or it just won't generate the required level of debate (Power cables matter! No they don't! You don't understand electrical engineering! Yes I do and you're an idiot! You know, that stuff!) for a controvrsial topic[​IMG]

BGL

5. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

Power cord lol
    Ok so If I use it on my lamp will the light get brighter???
    lol

6. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    No, but it will have more head room.

7. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

LMAO okay

8. Stephen M

Stephen M Stunt Coordinator

Gee, this "find" is hardly new. The same article was out a year or so ago and created the usual boring thread. If you cannot believe a PC can make a difference, don't waste everyone's time with yet another of these threads since they always boil down to one side saying it is scientifically impossible and the other saying it is not. If you want to take a PC home and try one for yourself (which would be more helpful to other readers than the usual cliches on threads like this where people give their opinion without the benefit of any experience with the cord in question), post your findings and encourage others to do the same. BTW, $200 for power conditioners is very little to pay for such a component which you can confirm by checking out prices on web sites or your dealer.[​IMG]

9. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Threads like this are useful to the new people here, so I hope the moderators won't move it to the tweaker forum.

LJ

10. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Well, I for one missed it the last time around, so I am glad it was reposted, waste of bandwidth or not.

I personally found the referenced article interesting simply because it is written by and is posted on a well respected hi-end manufacturer's web site.

I usual stay the hell out of these threads for obvious reasons, but this one pulled me in for some reason. Glad I looked in, although like all such threads, its already being sucked down into the vortex that consumes all such discussion[​IMG]

BGL

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You'll also find that most audiophile aftermarket power cords aren't even UL listed. Not that they couldn't or that it'd be probitively expensive. FWIW, Newark Electronics has Belden PC's, shielded even, for around $10.

12. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Also from the article:

Common sense really. Some of us take the approach of having our bases covered by having a larger than probably required cord for the job. It's one less chance for a bottleneck. That doesn't mean you have to spend a fortune though. I got a more robust cable than what my amp came with for about $25. Do I need it? I don't know, but at least if there is a problem it will be because of something outside my control.

DJ

13. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

What Chu and DJ said.

I replaced all the detachable power cords my gear came with, with shielded (most aren't, btw) cords from Belden. $12/per. No difference in video or sound quality anywhere, but it was cheap, and I sleep better at night. [​IMG]

14. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

I replaced all my removable PC's with Volex cords,nice 14ga
    and lots of shielding.Look like garden hose compared to the stockers,I couldnt hear a difference,but its was kinda
    "mental insurance".as in....I at least ,feel that the cords are not bottlenecking the system.They were only about $7 bucks each.

Greg

15. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

And I'll bet they had a UL sticker on 'em too!

16. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

"Mental insurance," I like that! [​IMG]

17. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Forum admins - please don't move this one to Tweaks...

With it buried here a few folk can have a momentary diversion and/or chuckle without the flames & emotion of Tweaks - at least until the PC police find it.

Now, does anyone know where I can get an extended warranty on an aftermarket power cord??? You know - maybe one that will refreeze my wires if the cryogenic effects wear off? (I'll probably burn for that one, won't I ;-).

18. BeauJanzen

BeauJanzen Auditioning

On the same token...I bet you I could use solid 12 gauge romex as speaker cable and 99% of people would have no idea...the 1% who could tell the difference would have to do so by using measuring equipment. Cords don't make much difference as long as the guage and impedence is appropriate for the application.

As far as the power thing goes...the biggest difference is going to be in the video...if you have lines running up your TV then a $45 monster cable power conditioner will isolate the problem...(it will isolate the ground loop)...all systems should be routed through some sort of surge protector anyways. You might as well go to Home Depot and get a belkin that offers you some $50,000 protection guarantee...now that's piece of mind.

19. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

I will sell you an extended warranty for your PC. It will only cost twice as much as you paid for the PC. [​IMG]

Seriously, if I paid several hundred or more for a PC, I would hear a difference. [​IMG] Sorry that just came out.

20. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, Mike_S - so I guess I get that warranty for free, eh?

I was actually in Home Depot last night and decided to go and try to find the same outdoor extension cord that Quad supposedly used at a show in London. I just know that one's too good to be true and is probably just urban legend, but there I was in the aisle with the Romex and was wondering if I should just get the fat stuff and get it over with...

And I also walked by their surge protectors but didn't bite (already have way too many units). From some other threads, I don't know that the $$$ of supposed warranty are really the "mental insurance" that you'd expect, but when I count up the surge thingies and UPS's and stuff lying around our house I know that they've sure hooked me on that one.

All kidding aside - does anyone know any statistics on the actual occurence or distribution of "golden ears" in the population? Has anyone really tried to measure just how many folks might still have that kind of extraordinary hearing - especially those over the age of 25 or so?