What's new

After market power cord. Is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Ok, lets keep things civil.

Alan does point out one thing I have discovered: The sensitivity of the system makes a big difference in how a tweek will work.

Many 'tweeks' that people swear by come from an audio background. Home Theater is actually very different. Things like wires, audiophile-quality speakers, etc., tend to not make much difference in a HT system. (Which is why I tend to stear people towards less-expensive wires and gear for movies).

So we do need to keep an open mind about some of these.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter

That's a very good point Bob. I have 2 systems, one is a 2 channel, music only, high end system, with all upgraded power cords. And yes, they made a big difference over stock chords.

While my HT system is no slouch, I haven't felt the need to upgrade any of the power cords, although I do use a power conditioner...Monster HTS5000.

I guess I felt the need to justify spending $1000 for 4 power cords in my 2 channel. And I'm glad I did!!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I believe that's called design incompetence but in audiophile parlance one says it's revealing.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter

If every manufacturer used the best parts available in all their stuff, you and I couldn't afford it my friend. They use parts to make a whole component. If modifying things make them better, it is at a cost. And it improves the product.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If every manufacturer used parts that were electronically sufficient lots more people could afford "audiophile" sound than can today. The ultra-high-end market would not exist because it's silly.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Wanna bet? Say a double blind test at 30 paces? My power cords with a retail value of less than $20 vs. any you want to bring. You pick out the different cords with an accuracy greater than 75% out of 100 runs and I'll buy your cords for you. You pick out less and you have to publish the findings here and buy me lunch.

Deal?

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter

Even my wife who is tone deaf heard the difference between a stock cord and a $200 chord on my HDCD player!!

Nuff said....deal with it!!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well that's 'cuz she's tired of you playing around with your system hearing things when you can't seem to remember her saying to bring home some milk tonite! She figures if she says yes, she'll finally get you to do something around the house. :D

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter

LOL...You should hear her laugh at all my ASC tube traps and floor standing Michael Green room tunes. She thinks it's funny when I start moving my "legos" around!!

Seriously, she said she hated to admit it, but after changing out my power "cords" several times for her, she could definitely hear a deeper and wider sound stage!!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well if you can postulate what changing the cords does to the signal then we could discuss how to measure it. But I'll give you something to chew on and that's what's known as listener adaptation. She listened several times to your messing around and has become more familiar with whatever it was that you were playing and that's what's led to this wider soundstage.

Hell Alan, I don't begrudge you your legos in the least. There are times I think women fall for even more sucker stuff than us guys and we not only put up with it, we fund it!

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter

A few months ago, I swapped out my $400 biwire Audioquest Granite speaker wire for $95 Mapleshade Golden Helix speaker wire. Made a HUGE improvement!! I am talking about a 2 channel system, when all is said and done, is valued at close to $15,000. I bought a nice Mapleshade maple rack with brass footers and weights. I upgraded from Magnepan 1.6 speakers to Magnepan 3.6 speakers. Last year I sent my Marsh P2000T hybrid tube preamp out for modifications...with much improvement!!

I trust my ears. When I was sitting in the audio store a while back and heard for myself the improvement that a power cable made to their system, (probably a $20,000 system), I bought one on the spot. I took it home and got the same result.

Why do you people have such a hard time understanding that??
Here is a link to some pics of my system...show me yours!!
http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/pix/HTFer/

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Why do you think when Secrets did their power cord swap (essentially $10,000 vs stock) that no one could discern a difference?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

No need, I told you we can use your system for the test. We aren't doing a component contest here, I'll gladly concede you the blue ribbon for that one. We're trying to see if you really can hear the difference.

Are you game?

JeffCar

Agent
It is certainly up to an individual what he or she wants to spend on equipment. People swear that there is a difference (as indicated here). I do know that I wouldn't put 2 cents on a bet that I could tell the difference in a proper side by side environment that had no obvious problems to start. I think I am glad that I can't.... I don't think I could afford such acute hearing.

Jeff

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I am an audiophile...

An audiophile — from the Greek for lover of hearing — is a person dedicated to high-fidelity sound reproduction and achieving high-quality results in the recording and playback of music. Audiophile values may be applied at all stages of the chain — the initial audio recording, the production process, and the playback, which is usually in a home setting. High-end is commonly applied to audiophile vendors, products, and practices. There is great skepticism inside and outside the audiophile community as to whether these practices and products have the claimed effects on the listening experience, and there are often accusations of self-delusion. The skeptics are referred to as objectivists. Those who generally subscribe to audiophile values are referred to as subjectivists. People on both sides of the debate concede that since many audiophiles are laymen, they are vulnerable to exploitation by fanciful claims made by unethical vendors.

Some good reading on this subject here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audiophile

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks