After Dark My Sweet and Aspect Ratio Confusion

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Daniel THB, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Daniel THB

Daniel THB Extra

Just got this movie from netflix -- all the info i can find on the web indicates this movie is 1.85:1 enhanced, but when I watch it in 16x9 mode on my TV I get a 2.33:1 image that I'm fairly certain is correct. The thing is, if I switch my TV back to 4x3 mode, I get what looks like 1.85:1 and the image doesn't look stretched to my eye, but I can't be sure. This is the Artisan Entertainment release. How can I verify this disc's specs?

2. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

All I can tell you is that the movie was shot in the Super 35 format, and projected in theatres in 2.35 scope. Therefore, Artisan could hypothetically have transferred the movie to DVD in 1.85 and just "open up" the image, a la Roger Donalson's 1.74 DVD transfer of his similarly shot in Super 35 film THE RECRUIT.

3. Daniel THB

Daniel THB Extra

thanks. i watched the movie in 16x9 mode and am pretty confident that 2.35:1 image was in proper proportion. just surprised that the specs info was wrong.

4. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

It's from Artisan, so what do you expect? The original Pioneer disc was full-frame, so this is one very isolated case of an Artisan re-release which is OAR.

5. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    I did a bit of searching and couldn't find any reliable reviews, but I wonder if the disc isn't non-anamorphic 1.85:1.

6. Daniel THB

Daniel THB Extra

that was my initial fear -- that i was watching a 1.85:1 non-anamorphic movie on my tv's 16x9 mode. who knows, maybe i was, but it looked natural the way i watched it, so i'd be willing to bet at least a quarter that the disc is 2.33:1 anamorhphic.