After Blaster?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by John Watson, Aug 26, 2003.

1. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Did an up-to-date AV program protect computers against the Blaster attack on Windows XP?

Or did a firewall other than the built-in XP version offer protection?

Or did only the Microsoft Patch provide protection?

PS Would a new computer bought now, with XP pre-loaded, be susceptible to Blaster when it is first plugged into the Internet, ie, before the owner could download XP patches, or receive virus definition updates?

2. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

I don't think anti-virus software would help with blaster, since it's a worm. It's not riding along in a file, it takes advantage of a buffer overflow in the windows 2k/xp rpc. So any firewall that blocks I think port 135 should be okay. If you don't have a firewall the only way to surely prevent infection is the patch (and shame on your for not having a firewall).

It's possible that you could get infected before you have a chance to do anything else, but you should either be behind a hardware firewall or you could turn on win xp's firewall before you plug it in to the internet.

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Actually, you just don't open up your mail the first time. Just wait until all of your updates are in and running.

I'm just using XP on 56K dialup (pause for laughter to subside).

I got two of those on Monday (25th), but Norton stopped them as soon as they came in. Were quarantined and then deleated.
    My Norton Firewall didn't do shit here, but after I put it in I don't get the huge messenger ads that were popping into my system before.

I have been using just MS outlook since about '97 and have never had a virus. I have alse always had Norton going.

Glenn

5. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Glenn, you're probably thinking of Sobig.F, not Blaster. Sobig.F comes in via email, Blaster comes in over the 'net. You don't even need email to get Blaster.

KJP

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ah, right your are. But if you just got on and got the updates right off, wouldn't the odds of getting hit then be somewhat high?

Glenn

7. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Thanks for all the replies, particularly those details, Kevin.

I don't have XP, but it seems like there will be no choice in the future.

After the Blaster fiasco, will there be an XP SE, or will Gates push (yet another) "new" OS to exploit our insecurities?

[​IMG]