What's new

After Blaster? (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Screenwriter
Did an up-to-date AV program protect computers against the Blaster attack on Windows XP?

Or did a firewall other than the built-in XP version offer protection?

Or did only the Microsoft Patch provide protection?

PS Would a new computer bought now, with XP pre-loaded, be susceptible to Blaster when it is first plugged into the Internet, ie, before the owner could download XP patches, or receive virus definition updates?

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
I don't think anti-virus software would help with blaster, since it's a worm. It's not riding along in a file, it takes advantage of a buffer overflow in the windows 2k/xp rpc. So any firewall that blocks I think port 135 should be okay. If you don't have a firewall the only way to surely prevent infection is the patch (and shame on your for not having a firewall).

It's possible that you could get infected before you have a chance to do anything else, but you should either be behind a hardware firewall or you could turn on win xp's firewall before you plug it in to the internet.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
PS Would a new computer bought now, with XP pre-loaded, be susceptible to Blaster when it is first plugged into the Internet, ie, before the owner could download XP patches, or receive virus definition updates?
Yes, unless a firewall is used. If using broadband, you're ok plugging the new, unpatched machine into a router. But if you plug directly into a cable modem, or use dial-up without a software firewall, the machine will likely be exploitable, at least until machines start shipping with XP Service Pack 2 after it comes out.

If you don't have a firewall available, and are installing a new PC, I'd get the patches and an anti-virus program (including the latest signatures) burned on a CD, and install them before connecting the new PC to the internet for the first time.

KJP

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Actually, you just don't open up your mail the first time. Just wait until all of your updates are in and running.

I'm just using XP on 56K dialup (pause for laughter to subside).

I got two of those on Monday (25th), but Norton stopped them as soon as they came in. Were quarantined and then deleated.
My Norton Firewall didn't do shit here, but after I put it in I don't get the huge messenger ads that were popping into my system before.

I have been using just MS outlook since about '97 and have never had a virus. I have alse always had Norton going.

Glenn

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Glenn, you're probably thinking of Sobig.F, not Blaster. Sobig.F comes in via email, Blaster comes in over the 'net. You don't even need email to get Blaster.

KJP

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ah, right your are. But if you just got on and got the updates right off, wouldn't the odds of getting hit then be somewhat high?

Glenn

John Watson

Screenwriter
Thanks for all the replies, particularly those details, Kevin.

I don't have XP, but it seems like there will be no choice in the future.

After the Blaster fiasco, will there be an XP SE, or will Gates push (yet another) "new" OS to exploit our insecurities?

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks