After a 10 year absence, the National Championship is back where it belongs.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carlos_E, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Carlos_E

Carlos_E Stunt Coordinator

Just reflecting on the events of the last 2 days. It has been a long ten years since the University of Miami Hurricanes last won the football National Championship and it feels great.
    I throughly enjoyed their 37-14 victory over the Nebraska Cornholders ( I mean CornHuskers). [​IMG]
    I can't believe I am the first to post a thread as a U.M. fan.
    Also, I did not enjoy Steve Spurrier choosing to retire the very next day after the Canes won the championship. He stole our spotlight!! [​IMG] [​IMG] In addition, it is pretty fishy that he decides to retire at this time, the very next day after the Cane victory. You see, the Gators and the Canes will play each other in the regular season the next two years. This hasn't happened since 1987 when Florida dropped the Canes from their schedule. Is Spurrier's resignation just a coincidence??
    [​IMG]
    Carlos

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

That is fishy. Here in L.A. sports radio, they mentioned at the beginning of the college football season how one of Spurrier's promises when he was hired as head coach at UF was that he would get Miami back into the UF schedule. They said that in all of his years on the job he never got that done. Now that they are going to play, he sure did hightail it out of town quickly... [​IMG]

3. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I'm not a 'Canes fan. I've hated them since 1986 when the team wore army fatigues before their national championship game against Paterno's Nittany Lions.

Despite this, I've always fancied them and Florida renewing their annual meeting and I sort of wish Spurrier would have stuck it out another year at UF just for that and for all the trash he talked on the great Bobby Bowden. It would have been fun to watch.

Miami looked like an NFL team, or a well-oiled machine against Nebraska the other night. Miami showed that they are heads and shoulders above everyone else in the NCAA. Ken Dorsey looks like he's ready for the ranks of the NFL.

Indeed I hate Miami, but damn are were they great this year. I am an usher at Heinz field in Pittsburgh and I got to see the 'Canes crush the Pitt Panthers. I knew after that game that Miami would be very difficult to topple.

4. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Congrats to Miami, they definitely played the part. After seeing last years FL/UM matchup in the Sugar Bowl, I was really hoping they would meet up this year for the Rose Bowl.

5. ChristopherDM

ChristopherDM Stunt Coordinator

MIAMI SMASHED THE HUSKER NATION!!!=]
    ok end rant
    Miami was on mission all year after getting screwed by the BS(no thats not a typo) system, THis game showed Nebraska didnt belong here. The Ducks though I think wouldnt have faired better on that night, hell the Lions could have lost the Canes.[​IMG]
    Now if only the other Miami Football team can play like that. One can hope[​IMG]
    Christopher

6. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

The only thing that game proved was that Nebraska should not have been there.

7. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Ah, but look forward to next year - TN vs Miami (the matchup we should've seen this year). It's Tennessee's homecoming game after all..no national title for the 'Canes next year [​IMG]

8. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

It's been a long time since I follow football in any regularity, but for you diehard Miami fans, I vaguely remember Miami upset the heavily favorited (and number one) Nebraska long time ago, don't remember whether Miami ended up as the champion that year or not. Of course, this time, the 'Canes were the favorite.

9. Tony G

Tony G Stunt Coordinator

Carlos,

See you in Knoxville next year??

Tony

10. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The Canes were good all year and only mildly stumbled a few times and regained composure to win out....CONGRATS..... I'm like a few others about Spurrier..... nuff said as I don't want ot waste any time thinking about him.....

As a few others here who are Tenn fans, I had hoped Tenn would be in the championship and that we would have another Sugar Bowl (1985)like performance. Tenn sure embarrassed Miami then!!!! I still dislike Testaverde.... he really thought he was Mr. IT......

Again, Kudos to Miami and their new head coach. Just glad it wasn't Erickson......

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

My hats off to the Canes. As a Penn State grad., I couldn't stand for Miami's program for many years due to off-the-field antics. However, I have to concede that Miami football has transformed itself in a positive sense since Butch Davis took the coaching job. Larry Coker has picked up where Davis left off. From what I have heard, Miami football these days is respectable both on and off the field, so I have to give credit where credit is due.

By the way, I have to agree with a sentiment shared by another member here. Unfortunately for Miami fans, the story of the week in college football was Steve Spurrier stepping down at Florida. He stole the Canes' thunder.

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Mike Turico of ESPN was on a local sports radio show last week (he's from the Detroit area). He mentioned that one NFL scout told him that as many as 35 of the current Miami Hurricanes could get a spot on an NFL training camp roster at some point (not all will make the teams, of course). That is amazing.

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

The problem with saying after the fact that Nebraska should not have played in the National Championship game (which I agree with) and that Oregon should have is that practically no one fought for Oregon beforehand. Everyone was calling the choice of Nebraska blasphemy back in early December because it was felt that Colorado earned a shot at Miami. Remember that the BCS computer, for what it's worth, had Colorado number three, very close to Nebraska. Of course, Colorado showed nothing in the Fiesta Bowl against Oregon, so now more and more people are on the Oregon bandwagon. This mess will never be settled until there is a playoff.

14. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

> In addition, it is pretty fishy that he decides to retire at this time, the very next day after the Cane victory.

Well, that game was the end of the college season, so the timing makes sense. Would you have been happier if he announced it the day of the Miami game?

15. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

16. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I wholeheartedly agree about Oregon. Would they have beat Miami? Who knows. I got to see them in person this year, as well as a few times on TV, they are a pretty impressive team. But they deserved the CHANCE to play against Miami in the Rose Bowl.

I like what some announcers and even Bellotti said: if both major polls are in agreement over who is 1 and 2, don't use the BCS. Use it only as a tie-breaker or in the event that the polls don't have unanimous 1 & 2 teams.

17. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

18. Carlos_E

Carlos_E Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all your reponses guys.
    I notice several of the responses come from Tennessee forum members.
    John Thomas, Tony G, and Donny D., you guys are just frothing at the mouth waiting for the Canes to arrive there next year aren't you? The only thing that scares me about playing in Tennessee is the seating capacity of that stadium and the expected crowd noise. I think it is something like 107,000- 109,000. Is that figure correct? That is a lot of fans!! [​IMG]
    Seating capacity in our stadium (The Orange Bowl) is only 75,000.
    Carlos

19. Tony G

Tony G Stunt Coordinator

Carlos,

There will be about 107,000 there to see the 'Canes on Nov. 9. They will all be screaming, and the band will play Rocky Top about 50 times, and that's just DURING the game.

I'm already looking forward to coming to the Orange Bowl for the game in 2003.

Tony