After 2 years I have finally succumbed to the upgrade bug.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Risley, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

That's right I did it and I'd do it again (with the wife's permission of course). I recently sold the old truck which was replaced with a company vehicle, so I had a little foldin money. Well this cash has burned a hole in my hot little hand. So I ordered up the little NEC LT150 DLP projector which should be delivered wed., to replace the giant Zenith Pro880 that currently hangs over my head. And last night I went and picked up the Sony 700P dvd player, to replace the well worn Toshiba 3109. I had always been very happy with the 3109 (except it wouldn't recognize my Dinosaur dvd) but after hooking up the Sony with the factory S-video cable and comparing it with both machines playing The Fifth Element at the same time( I bummed the brother-inlaws copy), and switching back and forth with my ACT-3 pre/pro. The Sony gave peoples faces a more natural look while the Toshiba looked a little washed out. Mind you this wasn't a huge difference but noticeable. I can't wait to hook it up tomorrow to the LT150 via the progressive hook up. Also the sound quality is very nice. The theater is almost finished so after all the new toys are installed I'll post some new pics.
    Greg
    www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28638.html
    Pictures from my old theater up in Denver. New pics from Austin HT are coming soon.
    [Edited last by Greg Risley on October 24, 2001 at 02:03 PM]

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

2 years Hu? That has got to be a HTForum record I would think [​IMG]
    Just kidding, congrats on the new projector and I am sure we will all be looking forward to your new pics.
    KyleS

3. Kevin Tiedje

Kevin Tiedje Auditioning

I have had my LT150 for 3 months. I figured after all I spent on my sound system, I might as spend a little more and get a BIG screen. It makes 2.35 movies enjoyable.
    A little bit of warning about the LT150, the composite input is poor, the S video input is OK. This projector excels with the RGB input. You can with the correct cable connect a component source to the RGB input of the LT150.
    I feel you have wasted your money with the Sony 700P. The best source is a home theater PC. If you don't want to go that route I would go with the XBox. It will have 720P HDTV output which is much closer to the native resolution of the LT150. The goal is to bypass the scaler in the LT150.

4. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Congrats Greg - I went with a NEC LT150 and the Panasonic RP91 combo and love it!
    Feels like true home theatre!
    A HTPC might be something to try down the line but I want to keep this a plug 'n play as much as possible.
    I haven't seen a HTPC setup in action but if the image is better than what I am seeing now - HTPC must be truly impressive.
    My RP91 works great and has some useful picture tweaking options that allows one to dial the picture in to their preferences.
    Anyhow good luck and welcome to the FP club!
    ------------------
    Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
    MyHTSetup

5. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

Thanks for the comments guys. I actually have a htpc but I could not use it with my Zenith projector since it was video grade, but it could do anamorphic so it gives a really good pic. The htpc on the other hand is just to temperamental for my taste. The wife would never use it either. I plan on hooking it up to the new pj but I bet the majority of my viewing will be with the Sony, which should do fine till the players with selectable scaling start to happen. I'm going out to the CES again this year and I bet that is going to be the direction of players.
    Oh and the X-box does not hold any interest to me. I have pretty good gaming ability with my pc and I don't play a lot of games. I thought I read that the X-box will only do the different scaling just for games and not movies? Let me know.
    Thanks
    Greg

6. Kevin Tiedje

Kevin Tiedje Auditioning

Following is a quote from an XBOX ad in NextGen magazine.
    "The Xbox is the only videogame system to support HDTV and Progressive Scan (480p and 720p) for both gaming and DVD applications. So for your $299(and a little extra for the remote package) you get one of the most capable DVD players on Earth"
    I have both a PC and the PS2. I still plan on getting an XBOX. Great games will only be available on certain platforms. The PC is dying as a game platform.
    If you want to find out why the PC is so much better than $1000 DVD players check out AVS Forum's Home Theater Computers.