What's new

"African Queen" UK version (1 Viewer)

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
Since it doesn't look like this will ever be released here in the states, I was wondering about ordering it via Amazon.uk. Has anyone done this and what can I expect customs wise?
The review on the UK PAL version was quite good.

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
I guess no one has ever imported a DVD from the UK. Well I just ordered it and I'll just have to see if it shows up. I just hope the customs do not give me problems.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Geez, will you give us more than two hours to respond to your post. I have that dvd and I'm not particularly happy with the video presentation of it.

Crawdaddy

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Neither of the representations of AQ on Beaver are what the film looks like.

I would suggest that one sit tight and wait for the restoration work.

RAH

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Just don't get the r4 disc. I hired it to watch a couple of months ago, turned it off within about 2 minutes. I honestly felt ill watching it - the picture was grainy and horrible to look at beyond all belief. Single worst DVD I have ever seen. The Carlton disc on DVD Beaver, while it doesn't look great, look a hell of a lot better than the r4.

Still have not seen the film, but I will soon.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I order from amazon uk all the time. There is no customs to worry about at all. You just get the package for the price of the disc and shipping - quite reasonable, too.

I'm not that unhappy with the DVD of African Queen - the color seems fine and while it's not optimal if you need a quick AQ fix I find it does the trick quite handily.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I've never seen the LD, but the dvd in my opinion has oversaturated coloring throughout the dvd. Also, at other times, the coloring looks somewhat muted with a slight tint to it.

Crawdaddy

Heinz W

Second Unit
Who controls the R1 rights? And is there a restoration currently underway? I'm patiently awaiting this title and King Kong (1933). I know we're getting Kong next year and according to the Warners chat it should be a tremendous DVD. With the new GWTW coming in a few weeks and Kong next year, the AQ is the one classic film I've been wanting that seems to be MIA.

Anyone have the scoop? Mr. Harris?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Paramount has the dvd distribution rights, but there are still some rights issues involving other parties that Paramount is trying to work through and that all involved parties do want this title released on dvd. Until those issues are resolved, I would think any restoration work is on hold. If I had to venture a guess, at the earliest, I wouldn't expect this title until late 2005 or early 2006.

IMO, I think it's going to be the last of the AFI's Top 100 films to be release on dvd in Region 1.

Crawdaddy

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Is the original 3-strip Technicolor O-neg is good shape? What type of restoration process will be used: photo-chemical and/or Lowry Digital 2k, 3k?

It truly is one of the greatest American films ever made and is hugely popular, so a R1 DVD release is way overdue. But seening as the elements need some work and there are disputes over the rights, it is understandable.

I bought the UK R2 the day it came out (seems like years ago!) and at the time I wasn't that disappointed. But since then, Warner have released the remastered Wizard of Oz, Adventures of Robin Hood, Singin' in the Rain SEs, so the stakes have been raised greatly since then. The African Queen is fully deserving of lavish treatment on DVD.

Oh, but the Jack Cardiff commentary on the R2 is great and I doubt very much that it will appear on the R1 from Paramount.

Heinz W

Second Unit

Hmm, well whenever it IS finally released I'm sure it will get the lavish treatment it deserves. That timeline is probably right though I sure wouldn't be unhappy about a Q1 or Q2 date. Thanks Crawdaddy.

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
Bought this title for just 4.99 Euros ( about $6 US ) in a Dublin branch of HMV yesterday. It was the first time I'd seen the movie and I have to say I loved it - a great story with superb interplay between the leads. I haven't had a chance to listen to the commentary yet, but the picture quality looked reasonable enough to my eyes. Nowhere near the standard of a modern remaster of course, but nowhere near horrid either.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
OK, this is off topic, but I found this quote interesting. DO you know something about a upcoming release of Bringing Up Baby, because I would be excited if so.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I also have the R2 and find it 'watchable' but inconsistent visually. The colors shift from scene to scene and there is considerable flickering. Having said that I still enjoy it and am glad that I invested in it, including the all-region Cyberhome 300 player from Radio Shack.

I would be first in line in picking up a R1 release, even if not perfect. I also quite enjoyed Cardiff's commentary and if it doesn't reappear in the future I am quite happy to have this in my collection just for the historical insights.

What about 'The Jazz Singer'? I had heard that restoration was underway -- though have heard no specific dates.

I had also heard of the likely release of 'Bringing Up Baby' in the not too distant furure. If these titles get squeezed in before AQ then I'd be happy with the pace -- otherwise I'm a bit puzzled :confused:.

Joel

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Because of the rights issue on The African Queen, restoration which is required for this project is not being done. Furthermore, I've heard from a pretty good source that the level of restoration required for those film elements is quite extensive.

At the same time, I've heard whispers that are starting to get louder that King Kong, The Jazz Singer and Bringing Up Baby are long into the restoration process. It's becoming apparent to me that Warner is looking at releasing all three of these titles in 2005.

At this point, my bet is with Warner while Paramount is still trying to resolve their issues with The African Queen.

Crawdaddy

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Woo Hoo!

Meanwhile, I discover today that The African Queen is showing on TV next weekend, so I'll finally gewt to watch it then. Looking forward to it.

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
I finally received my UK version of "African Queen" and I am happy. I know that it is possible to do a better transfer but it is less noisy than the Laser disc I have
and plays just fine on my JVC DVD player(plays PAL/NTSC).
I now would like to know if anyone has the UK DVD of "The Dam Busters"? If so how is the quality? Also does anyone know if "Breaking the sound barrier" is available?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks