What's new

African Queen in October???? (Now taken off schedule; see post 31) (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The good news is that we know from Paramount themselves that they are working on the film and there still may be a release this year. The only problem this time is there was not an official news release. The October date may have only been a planned inside date and Paramount would like to be more along with the work before they confirm a release date.

Now why I am being so upbeat about this is beyond me, for I think Paramount has no regard for it classic films, unless it stars Miss Hepburn or has Grease in the title.

JulianK

Supporting Actor

Matte-line reduction was indeed one of the aims of the on-going restoration project (and it will be done digitally).

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I don't want to incur the wrath of HTF, but wouldn't it make sense for Paramount to wait a year and a half or so and release it in 2011, it's 60th anniversary?

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

Based on how studios seem to release things I would think the opposite. Release it now as a single disk base bones additions and then again in a year and a half as a two disk 60th anniversary edition with extras. Then follow it up the next year with a BR release. That way they can get some to double or even triple dip purchases. That's the studio approach I'm familiar with.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Many of us have reported since last October that The African
Queen
was being prep'd for release. That news came from
our group that visited with the restorationists who were personally
working on the film.

The October date could be real and the studio asked it be removed,
or I would suspect that they are looking to place it in a release window
for its 60th Anniversary.

I can't see its release being too far along at this point.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
And what about "Wings" Ron? You (or maybe it was someone else) who went to the convention and asked questions, gave us the heads up on its release as well but still a no show and nothing to say what is going on? Now people are hinting about Criterion being in the loop but wasn't before? The two movies were being spoken of at the same time.

Eric

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I think THE QUIET MAN went back to licensee Lionsgate. Unless I missed something, the old Lionsgate contract with Paramount concerning the Republic library had lapsed a couple of years ago, but then Paramount turned right around and re-licensed the whole kaboodle back to Lionsgate, with the lone exception of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, which they wanted to release under the Paramount label.

This was, as you might recall, around the time when Paramount got a new person running their DVD division (I forget the name), someone who reportedly had/has little interest in their back catalog, other than a few hits, endlessly reissued. There were a couple of Republic-owned noir films that were tentatively scheduled for release by Paramount at the time, SECRET BEHIND THE DOOR and DARK MIRROR, that were subsequently cancelled, followed by the news that Paramount leased the Repubic catalog back to Lionsgate.

Very strange, though, that Paramount would let go of THE QUIET MAN, which has very nearly the same popular stature as IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Eric,

Though I have general ideas, if I could accurately time and time again
figure out the manner in which studios decide to release some of their
titles and the reasons why they ultimately get delayed I would be a hero
to all of you.

All I can tell you is that both titles have been in the restoration process.

However, as far as the studios are concerned, timing is everything.
They may have their own ideas as to the most advantageous release
window. Perhaps in this economic climate they may feel that the titles
won't sell. Perhaps they are still working on the restorations. Some
of these restorations can take well over a year.

Don't know, Eric, but I can't imagine the studio not putting work
into these titles and then letting them sit on the shelves.

Real Name
randy selzer
moviesunlimited has updated their DVD Beat column - this is a new update... and they seem to be saying that African Queen will be coming out after all....no date given though...

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
The Digital Bits is reporting in their Rumor Mill, that The African Queen is planned for 10/13.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Now with both Classic Fix and Digital Bits talking about this, along with some mussings from Movies Unlimited, I hope for a formal announcment soon. I am looking forward to this release.

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
I don't understand why Paramount is taking so long to issue this film in Region 1.

When I bought my Pioneer uploading all-region DVD player (a good thing to buy, by the way), I bought the currently available Carlton region 2 version and it looks good enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks