What's new

African Queen Blu-ray screen caps on dvdbeaver.com (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Sebastian Porter
Finally, it looks just right for the first time on home video. This is very exciting!!!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I am very happy with the way the screen caps look for this film. I have seen the film in theatres a couple of times with a fairly used print and I have the laserdisc which I was OK with. But this looks like Paramount took their time and have done it right. I guess good things come to patient people.

Heinz W

Second Unit
The caps look good for the most part, but is there a strong green push here? Look at the caps of the boat entering the rapids for example. The water looks green.

Is it just me?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Originally Posted by Heinz W

The caps look good for the most part, but is there a strong green push here? Look at the caps of the boat entering the rapids for example. The water looks green.

Is it just me?
Parts of the water do look green but other parts are blue in that scene.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I can't quite understand why a screen grab of one of the green screen shots wouldn't be featured by the "Beaver." It seems essential to the evaluation process.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Heinz W ">[/url]

Is it just me?[/QUOTE]Why wouldn't water reflecting green stuff look green (or have a strong green tint)?

Heinz W

Second Unit
Like I said, maybe it's just me, but a lot of those shots have a greenish cast to them. Other things as well, in the boat shot look at the sky in the Carlton DVD which is blue and compare to the BD where it looks more white.

Maybe this is the way it's supposed to look, I really don't know. In general it looks better than the DVDs. Haven't seen the film for a few years and never have in HD or at a theater. I love the movie and have been waiting more than a decade for it on disc. Only good thing about the long wait is that I get to skip DVD completely and go right to hi-def. Hopefully Mr. Harris will weigh in on it and ease my mind, but regardless this will be a Day 1 purchase.

Real Name
Sebastian Porter
I can assure you that the latest blu ray edition of The African Queen has correct colour balance and contrast exactly as cinematographer Jack Cardiff intended. He would be very, very happy to see the result if he is still alive.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
At least no one's screaming about the lossy audio track..... yet.

Oh dear; I fear I may have opened the proverbial can o' worms.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H

At least no one's screaming about the lossy audio track..... yet.
I'll be glad to oblige, Stephen--if it's true. I haven't heard that yet.

I'm already on record about the issue HERE.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It's true, but since it's a mono track it's a less egregious offense. No reason to not have it lossless, but ultimately not a big deal in this case IMO.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
But lossless is lossless...no matter mono/stereo.surround. It's all about the quality rather than the type of soundfield used.

I thought the studios were past this kind of thing. How disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks