African Queen and Schindler's List MIA for 2003?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joel Vardy, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

I know this topic has come up before but these two 'high profile titles' don't have a credible release target for R1, as far as I've been able to find on the net.

African Queen may be in need of some restoration but as of now many lower profile titles have been targeted for '03 and we are seeing plenty of 'marginal' stuff being pushed out month after month now.

Schindler is due for a 10th anniversary in '03 but yet there is no credible source that has projected its release. In fact, The Digital Bits doesn't even put it on the 'being worked on' list, as of yet. Spielberg is being quoted about the Indy series for the coming year but has, surprisingly, not been recently quoted nor asked about SL (reputedly his most acclaimed and personal work). Anybody have better information?

Joel

2. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Stunt Coordinator

3. Dave S.G.

Dave S.G. Stunt Coordinator

Jeez... read the title of this thread and, well... thanks for reminding me about this lapse and raining on my Christmas.[​IMG]
    Oh, wait... I'm Jewish. Thanks for bringing up the Holocaust.
    Anyhoo... I am dying to see what will be done with Schindler. Someone mentioned in another thread an extra hour's worth of footage (which I'd never before heard about). I'm also curious what he'd include as bonus materials considering the documentary series he began producing shortly after the film came out. My mother has the Deluxe VHS package (the only way I could find to get it for her in OAR). It came in a nice big gray box with a book (and a soundtrack); short on features, but them was the ol' VHS days, eh?
    Mmmm... Christmas... time comes again for the Jewish Xmas tradition: Catch a movie and eat Chinese Food [​IMG]

4. Joel Vardy

5. Joel Vardy

I see from a Google search that not only is The African Queen available in R2 but that it has been remastered for this release and has a good audio commentary track included by Jack Cardiff. Why the holdup for R1 I don't understand, unless there is less demand here than in Europe [​IMG] . I hope that isn't true, though by the lack of response to this thread I suspect most readers don't know much about this classic or just don't care.
    Joel

6. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    The UK special edition of African Queen is pretty nice. It has audio commentary by Jack Cardiff and features the original poster art on the packaging.
    Jeff

7. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Oops. Looks like Joel and I posted the same info at the same time.

8. Joel Vardy

Thanks, Jeff. I assume you have the R2 release of AQ. How does it look? Is it worth waiting for the R1 release (assuming it is forthcoming [​IMG] ). I don't have a way to play back R2 material.
    Joel

9. Voon Jiet

Voon Jiet Stunt Coordinator

Voon
    I got so tired of waiting for Schindler's List, I finally decided to pick up the Letterboxed LD a couple of days ago.

I am still hopeful for a release in 2003 4th Quarter though.

10. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Joel
    the r2 is great because of the commentary [​IMG]

11. Ali B

Ali B Second Unit

What's more the R2 has stunning pitcure quality and it's only £6.99 in the hmv.co.uk sale!

12. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

I have an extra copy (in mint condition) of the Japanese R2 NTSC "The African Queen" DVD if anyone's interested. I'll sell it for just $15 shipped! (PayPal or money order) E-mail me.