What's new

African American Titles (1 Viewer)

McKinley

Auditioning
I have made an attempt to search online for sites where I can purchase some of the classic African American movie titles and some of the favorite African American movies of the recent past. It seems as though the mainstream sites only carry what they consider to be popular African American movies. These sites choices of top African American movies generally do not coincide with the general African American movie viewer. Does anyone know any good sites where one could find these types of movies for purchase or rent?

--McKinley

DavidAls

Agent
What kinds of titles are you looking for?

I'd love to see Charles Burnett's Killer Of Sheep released on DVD - I haven't seen it, but the comparisons to Italian neo-realism intrigue me, and it seems to have (because of it's longtime unavailability) acquired this status as the great African-American film of the last few decades...

A new film I though very, very good is Thomas Allen Harris' That's My Face, a documentary about a Bronx native's exploration of heritage and identity. It wasn't a commercial hit - definitely an 'art' film, but it's a remarkable example of great African-American film: quiet, meditative at times, very creatively made and intellectually complex.

The representations of African-Americans in film definitely leave something to be desired; Hollywood's continued reliance upon stereotypes (and some African-American audiences acceptance of those stereotypes) is unfortunate and one-dimensional.

I live in a college town (granted - not a typical environment) which is very multi-ethnic in its' makeup, and most of my African-American friends are polishing up masters' degrees, or are artists of some variety. As an African-American film geek, I'd love to see that - I'd take it over any Martin Lawrence stereotype-fest any day of the week. That's a film I'd probably have to make myself however.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
A Soldier's Story
Basquiat
Sweet Sweetback's Baaaadass Song
Carmen Jones

Should be readily available in and around Chapel Hill, I can't remeber that indy rental shop thats rreally good but I'll ask a pal.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well certainly A Soldier's Story and Carmen Jones are very easy to find in most mainstream video stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks