Africa Safari

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DennisHP, Nov 30, 2001.

1. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

Anyone here ever go on an African hunting safari? I'm seriously considering a plainsgame hunt and would like to know of anyone's experiences.

2. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Yep. I went plainsgame hunting in Zimbabwe a year and a half ago. I wouldn't recommend the outfitter. They misled me on various costs and then wouldn't take me to the camp I was supposed to go to and then when my PH had to leave because his dad was seriously ill (perfectly understandable), they put me with another hunter when I had paid more for a 1 on 1 hunt. But I definitely recommend the experience. There is nothing like an African safari and you should be very pleased even if there are some problems like what I had. Of course, you need to do your homework with any outfitter you choose.

I lost several days of hunting because I dislocated my kneecap (hey, this is hunting, right?), but I still managed to take 2 impala, zebra, a very nice bushbuck, klipspringer, wildebeeste, hippo, and waterbuck. I missed out on kudu because the area I was in was really poor for them (the other camp was better...)

One thing to consider too is that care of hides in Zimbabwe is kind of spotty. Some camps do great. Others (guess how I know this) dry the hides too much and the tannned hides lack the stretch required for proper mounting.

My next safari will also be plainsgame, but this time for some species not available in Zimbabwe. I'm looking at South Africa probably and will likely go with either Cabela's or Tona de Costa. Interesting species there are gemsbok, nyala, black wildebeeste, and hartebeeste.

After that, I'm thinking of a buffalo hunt in Tanzania. They are suprisingly affordable compared to other hunts in Tanzania.

You should definitely figure out which species you wish to hunt as that will greatly determine the country you go to.

If you're not a member of Safari Club International you should become one. The yearly convention is a great time to talk to outfitters and get a ton of info.

3. Craig

Craig Second Unit

4. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

Julie,

Thanks for replying. Sorry to hear about your misfortune but it sounds like you had a good experience overall. I was also thinking of using Cabela's. Either them or Shoshone Wilderness Adventures. A friend of mine worked thru Shoshone twice and had good experiences both times in South Africa. My main persuit will be Kudu and Gemsbuck. Good luck on you buffalo.

5. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

OK, Julie was not who I expected to be the first person to reply to this thread!! Right on, Julie! [​IMG]

6. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Dennis,
    Yes, overall the experience was fantastic. I'm sure my next hunt (and yours) will be even better though. There's just nothing like the huge number of animals you will see every day. Or walking along a river and hearing a leopard cough nearby. Or hearing hippos at night. Or monkeys running around on the roof of your hut. You don't get these experiences anywhere else.
    Another good country for kudu and gemsbok is Namibia. I know Cabelas has some hunts there. As I said before, I'm seriously considering Cabelas too, but if your friend had a good experince with Shoshone then that's a big plus.
    Darn, I'm getting all anxious to go again. I want to go in the summer of 2003, but work pretty much prevents that so 2004 it is [​IMG] After you go, you'll probably be like me and devote almost all of your thoughts of when you can go again...
    (BTW, do consider joining the Safari Club (www.SafariClub.org). The magazine is great and the annual convention, this year in Las Vegas, is really, really great.)
    Chris,
    [​IMG] It's fun to surprise people. My best experience was at a Safari Club convention one morning. I was in the main hotel for the event getting my morning caffeine fix and was wearing a Safari Club sweatshirt. A big bulky hotel worker was standing behind me and was looking down on my small feminine self. Said he "Ha! You don't look like a big game hunter" Said I "I am". He replied with a deep, heartfelt "Daaammmn!" [​IMG]

7. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona