What's new

Afraid of Dune? (1 Viewer)

With the inevitable success of LOTR, do you think anyone will take on the Dune series. I know that it done way back when, and SCI-FI channel has done their mini-series, but I would like to see a all the books turned into major productions.

Damian James

Stunt Coordinator
I would much rather see the final chapter written by Herbert's son. He wrote a trilogy prequel in the late 90s-2000 and they were outstanding. He apparently found Frank Herbert's notes on what was to be the final book, but I haven't seen anything about it since.

I think the books are so involved that any attempt at a book to movie conversion nowadays would just end up as eye candy, and ultimately be a letdown. Indepth sci-fi just isn't as popular now with A.D.D. so envogue it seems.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I would much rather see the final chapter written by Herbert's son. He wrote a trilogy prequel in the late 90s-2000 and they were outstanding. He apparently found Frank Herbert's notes on what was to be the final book, but I haven't seen anything about it since.
As Brian Herbert was releasing his trilogy of prequels, I believe he said that he would be working on the final book once that trilogy was completed. However, in September, Herbert (again with co-author Kevin Anderson, whose work I don't really care for) is releasing "Dune: The Butlerian Jihad," a novel explaining that event. So perhaps the final book will now come out some time in the next couple of years.

DJ

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
With the inevitable success of LOTR, do you think anyone will take on the Dune series. I know that it done way back when, and SCI-FI channel has done their mini-series, but I would like to see a all the books turned into major productions.
Not going to happen. Dino De Laurentiis has the movie rights to the series under lock and key.

That said, Sci-fi in doing further Dune mini-series, with "Children of Dune" expected to air sometime in 2003.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I actually wonder if someone isn't going to option the Shannara series (or hasn't already) to try to cash in on LOTR.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I actually wonder if someone isn't going to option the Shannara series (or hasn't already) to try to cash in on LOTR.
The only problem with that is the Sword of Shannara would be needed as a setup and it's too much of a rip-off of LOTR to be used. I think Terry Brooks "Running with the Demon" trilogy would be a better choice.

As for Dune, well, I didn't think the pre-quels were all that well done, at least the final book was sort of a let-down. I am looking forward to the Butlerian book (or books), and hoping he can do a better job, because he won't be as constrained.

As far as Dune movies go, I think more Sci-Fi minis in the fashion of the first are just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks