AFI'S Greatest Movie Musicals...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by John Kilduff, Aug 25, 2006.

1. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

We're still a few months away from the announcement of AFI's next "100 Years..." list, but there's something to keep us busy in the meantime.

http://www.afi.com/docs/tvevents/pdf...als_ballot.pdf

The link above leads to the nominations list for "AFI's Greatest Movie Musicals".

The list will be revealed on September 3rd at the Hollywood Bowl.

I figured that I would ask this: If you visit the AFI homepage and click on the 100 Years... link, you'll see the "Greatest Movie Musicals" list in there. Does this mean that this list could be included in the discussion thread we have for the various 100 Years... list? You know, the one where you view movies from the various lists and offer your thought on them, viewing them all until you complete each list?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I hope that Disney's "The Little Mermaid" will finally get some respect from the AFI (It's one of the nominated musicals).

2. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    interesting, I may try to make the bowl, I missed the score list

Unbelievable they mentioned all those 1930s musicals but left off the Producers (the original). Kind of surprising neither Ray nor Walk the Line was on the list.

Anyway here's the twenty five I'd pick, in order:

1 Seven Brides for Seven Brothers 2 Beauty and the Beast 3 Singin in the Rain 4 Gold Diggers of 1933 5 Sound of Music 6 Grease 7 My Fair Lady 8 Mary Poppins 9 Show Boat (36) 10 Holiday Inn 11 Lady and the Tramp 12 Lion King 13 Meet me in St. Louis 14 Little Mermaid 15 Victor Victoria 16 Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory 17 Wizard of Oz 18 South Park Bigger longer and uncut 19 Chitty Chitty Bang Bang 20 Cinderella 21 Shall We Dance 22 Aladdin 23 Love me Tonight 24 Yankee Doodle Dandy 25 Hallelujah I'm a Bum

3. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

I'm suprise "South Pacific" didn't make the list. It was the biggest hit of 1958. But then "Brigadoon"? makes the list and it was was awful. "Doctor Dolittle" was also nom. for a Best Picture Oscar and it didn't make the list.

Revised:
    "South Pacific" is on the list - I missed that one. But there are a lot of bad musicals on this list (Jumbo, Pennies From Heaven). There are some very good ones that were missed:

While I can understand why such personal favorites like "Annie", "Man of La Mancha" and "Star!" didn't make the list I can't see why these didn't:

A Hard Day's Night
    Sweet Charity
    Finian's Rainbow
    Can-Can
    Li'l Abner
    Tommy
    Flower Drum Song
    The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
    Jesus Christ Superstar
    The Boy Friend
    My Sister Eileen

I do not think for one moment "Dick Tracy" could be considered a musical in any sense.

4. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I thought I saw South Pacific on the list, but I guess not, well I'm not too upset, I think it's the worst musical I've seen, and I saw it in 70mm. [​IMG]

5. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

Is this officially the next 100 Series? If so, are they going with 100, or less (like film scores; and yes, I'm still bitter over that)?

My guess for top ten, in no order:
    Singin' in the Rain
    The Band Wagon
    Beauty and the Beast
    An American in Paris
    Wizard of Oz
    Top Hat
    Meet Me in St. Louis
    Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
    Sound of Music
    Mary Poppins

6. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Don't forget about

My Fair Lady
    West Side Story

7. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

Well, my list just went through the toilet without West Side Story. Top five, most likely.

8. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    In terms of predicting the AFI:
    top five
    Singin in the Rain
    Sound of Music
    Wizard of Oz
    West Side Story
    Funny Girl

most likely top ten contenders

My Fair Lady
    Meet me in St. Louis
    Mary Poppins
    Grease
    Beauty and the Beast

I presume, like the scores list, this will be a list of 25 derived from approximately 200 candidates. I seriously doubt that 7 brides will make the cut, unfortunately, the AFI didn't nominate a single song from the movie for its 100 songs list. Despite the lyrical and musical brilliance of Bless your Beautiful Hide, Sobbin Women, Lonesome Polecat, Goin' Courtin', When You're in Love. I wonder if the satire was lost on political correctness or maybe it just didn't register. Glad to see it on this nomination list though.

9. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

As brilliant as the R&H songs are, much of this movie (and most especially the dance numbers) look as though they were still on the stage. A very poor translation from stage to screen.

Not the worst mucical I've seen, but no doubt the worst on screen from one of the best sources.

10. Lew Crippen

I'm sorry to note that Dancer in the Dark did not make the list.

11. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Musicals are a genre I grew up on. My parents were/are big movie buffs. We were forced to watch Hitchcock greats and musicals. [​IMG]

Love em. Can't wait for many of these to arrive on HD-DVD.

12. Josh.C

Josh.C Second Unit

Not sure how they will rank them, but here is my personal top 10.

1. The Court Jester
    2. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
    3. Fiddler on the Roof
    4. White Christmas
    5. The Sound of Music
    6. Blue Hawaii
    7. Beauty and the Beast
    8. State Fair
    9. Chicago
    10. Oklahoma

HM: A Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1949), and the King and I

I also grew up with Musicals. I love this genre of movies, and they just don't make 'em like they used to IMO.

JC

13. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Well, Dancer probably didn't meet the qualification rules since the primary financing was European, just like you're not going to see Umbrellas of Cherbourg or 8 Women on the list.

I just want to see Love Me Tonight on the final list and hope that the list isn't dominated by Disney. I'm sure all the usual suspects will be on there.

14. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Supporting Actor

Top Ten:

Wizard of Oz
    Top hat
    White Christmas
    Holiday Inn
    Fiddler On The roof
    Westside Story
    Brigadoon
    Babes In Arms
    Meet Me In St. Louis
    Sound Of Music

While I think Singin' In The Rain is a good musical, I can't figure out why it's so popular. It's way overrated imo.

15. Gabriel>P

Gabriel>P Stunt Coordinator

My Fair Lady should be number one IMO. It is easily the best musical in terms of performances, the music, and sets. I just love. Though it is pretty obvious Singin in the Rain will be #1.

My second pick would be Seven Brides for Seven Brothers or Beauty and the Beast. Both just seem just a bit more geniune then most when it comes to the genre.

16. Lew Crippen

You are probably right Brook.

I had been think of the Oscar criteria—English language movie. This is the AFI definition of:[qote] AMERICAN FILM
    English language film with significant creative and/or production elements from the United States.[/quote]’English language’ is about the only element being met.

17. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    All my favorites are in there I'm happy to note, even Little Shop of Horrors which I feared might be forgotten or ignored.

Who would have thought Dick Tracy was one of the "great musicals"? I didn't, until now. [​IMG]

My favorite musicals are Singin' in the Rain, which I've watched countless times, followed by West Side Story. Third place would probably go to The Band Wagon or An American in Paris.

Favorite animated musical is Disney's The Jungle Book followed by The Little Mermaid.

And of the 180 musicals listed I have 82 of them here on my shelves.

18. John Kilduff

I think the reason why "Dick Tracy" was nominated was because of Stephen Sondheim, one of the better lyricists of the second half of the 20th century.

I hope that "South Park: Bigger, Longer And Uncut" makes it on the list as well. I actually heard Parker & Stone say on a special that Sondheim wrote them a note complimenting them on their work. They had wanted to send back a note saying something like "Thank you. Some of your stuff is good also", but they decided against it.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I hope that "Purple Rain" gets on the list, too.

19. John Kilduff

The results are in and most of the usual suspects are on the list.

http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/musicals.aspx

You "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers" fans will be happy, as that movie made it onto the list. The only other title making its' debut on an AFI list was 1979's "All That Jazz", two spots below "Chicago", where that song originated from.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Thoughts, guys?

20. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I'm very pleased but astonished only one disney animated film made it. The AFI usually falls over itself to award Snow White, so seeing the best Disney musical ever get honored instead delights me. also thrilled seven brides made it, though I was certain it wouldn't since the three selections, June Bride, Spring Spring Spring and Wonderful Wonderful Day are the three weakest songs in the film (but also the safest, least controversial, lacking the brilliant wit and satire of Sobbin' Women, Lonesome Polecat and Bless Yore Beautiful Hide).

Also glad to see Show Boat and Grease and Happy to see Mary Poppins in the top ten.

The Full list:

1. Singin' in the Rain
    2. West Side Story
    3. Wizard of Oz, The
    4. Sound of Music, The
    5. Cabaret
    6. Mary Poppins
    7. Star is Born, A (1954)
    8. My Fair Lady
    9. American in Paris, An
    10. Meet Me In St. Louis
    11. King and I, The