What's new

"AFI - The Directors" : how are these DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Gary Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
Are they simply documentaries on the various directors, with interviews and film clips? Or is there more to them than that?

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I have watched a couple of these. They're nice for the fans of a particular director, but don't cover much you wouldn't already know. They're a little too congratulatory to the person being covered to be taken seriously, not to mention brief when you're coving a career like Spielberg from the late 60s to Saving Private Ryan. The quality is very plain, with the quality of the clips inserted varying wildly. Lots of interview footage of the directors and selected guests (people who have worked with the director).

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
We have reviews of most of the series up at http://www.digitallyobsessed.com
They're pretty good, in general, and make a nice introduction to the director's work; they won't suffice for the devotee, but what do you expect in a 1-hour program. I think they should do them as double features myself instead of taking up space on the shelf. I particularly liked the Spielberg and Roger Corman discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks