What's new

AFI Silver Theater 70mm Spectacular Part 3 (1 Viewer)

mosesSupposes

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Goodrum
Aside from that momentary distortion, the sound quality was excellent; rich, and directional at appropriate moments, and helped make the pink tolerable.

There were no explicit indications that it was 30fps but then I'm a 70mm newbie, having seen my first show abut five years ago and only a dozen or so in total.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
After seeing the 70mm print of Ryan's Daughter at the AFI, I have to say I was impressed. I've seen a few 70mm prints (which aren't getting any younger) in the last few years, and this was in pretty good shape. There was the requisite damaged here and there and slight fading, along with a pink/brown leaning. The sound did seem to be the 6 track mag with precise panning across the stage. Nice surround effect on the Overture, Entr'acte and Exit music. A 4K DCP of this, from the original elements would look fantastic. The colors of the present 2 disc DVD are much more balanced than the aging print could retain, so I would imagine a minor restoration and remaster wouldn't be too much work, and the end result should be spectacular.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
DP 70 said:
see over @in 70mm .com about this Festival.
Thanks for the link, a nice recap of the event. Lovely place to watch film with blaring THX sound system! If they do a part 4 next summer, I'll be there again.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Gee,I was the complete opposite. I thought they did a pretty cool reno job to the theatres, especially the historic number one. Looks like a very nice place and not like the cookiecutter multiplexes you get elsewhere.

MrMiniver

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
GlennF said:
Gee,I was the complete opposite. I thought they did a pretty cool reno job to the theatres, especially the historic number one. Looks like a very nice place and not like the cookiecutter multiplexes you get elsewhere.
The theater 2 stadium seating cinema sure looks like a cookie cutter stadium seating theater to me. I could care less about the art deco. The only redeeming quality is that is THX approved.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I think the bright art deco colors on number one would distract me too much to enjoy a movie. numbers 2 and 3 look OK to me.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
There have been some changes since the photos were taken in 2009, but the main theater could be darker. 70mm & 35mm showings there are great though. The sound is a throwback compared to the underpowered run of the mill multiplexes of today.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
https://medium.com/boston-reel/time...augural-70mm-widescreen-festival-4bc7786c458a

A recent article about a current 70 MM Film Festival and the difficulty of finding prints. Apparently there are no prints of Ben Hur in 70 MM anymore for example.

The Somerville Theater, just outside of Boston, is amazing. Their multiplex-sized screens aren't huge but are well run, and the main auditorium (also used as a theater) is great. Perhaps even more important and impressive, the people that run the place care about what they do and are great at it. I used to live a few blocks away from there in the mid-2000s, and I quickly discovered they had the best projection in all of the Boston area. If my schedule wasn't completely packed right now, I'd be there - if they do this again in the future, I'll have to take a trip.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks