What's new

AFI Silver Theater 70mm Spectacular Part 3 (1 Viewer)

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
It would be interesting to see what condition these prints are in. Occasionally, in Toronto, at the Lightbox, where they hold the Toronto International Film Festival, they show 70 mm prints, but it is becoming very rare. The last one I personally went to was WEST SIDE STORY a couple of summers ago.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I will be going to the Ryan's Daughter screening, and possibly Around the World in 80 Days, so I'll report back.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I will be going to the Ryan's Daughter screening, and possibly Around the World in 80 Days, so I'll report back.
Will be good to here back,I wonder if the 70mm print of RD is the one with mute pic and 35mm sep mag trackthat I saw in the uk a few years ago.thanks.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I am going to AFI to see RYAN'S DAUGHTER on the 29th. Probably won't make it back to see AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, though I would expect the print to be faded and ravaged.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Jim*Tod said:
I am going to AFI to see RYAN'S DAUGHTER on the 29th. Probably won't make it back to see AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, though I would expect the print to be faded and ravaged.
Jim, I noticed that Ryan's Daughter is playing on screen 2 the 29th and screen 1 on Sept 1st. Do you know if the screens are the same size; I've only been in the large main theater.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I see what you are talking about.... you can see the auditorium listed when you order tickets. It appears that a 11:00 a.m. showing of THE BLUE MAX is in auditorium 1. The three auditoriums are not the same size though I think #2 is fairly large. But if I am trekking up from
Richmond for this I may have to re-think this.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/456As of 2007, historic Auditorium 1 has 400 seats in its raked auditorium, an electric organ to accompany silent films, projection equipment that includes 70mm projectors, and a very large movie screen that is 41 feet wide and 18 feet tall. Auditorium 2 has 200 seats, stadium seated, and a very large movie screen that is 37' x 19'. Auditorium 3 has 75 seats, stadium seating, and a 27' x 14' screen. All auditoriums have digital surround sound, are THX certified, and have curtains to open and close before the movie.----http://www.afi.com/silver/events/t2c.aspxNo mention of 70mm in #2 though the website could be out of date.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Thanks Peter, I have contacted AFI and someone else who might know. I am hoping it is just a typo. I have been in the 2nd auditorium and it has no curtains. I may have to try going to the Labor Day showing though given the traffic between Richmond and Silver Spring, Friday may be the safer choice. They do tend to schedule 70mm showings at the oddest times.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Per the AFI website, the 70mm prints of both RYAN'S DAUGHTER and CHEYENNE AUTUMN have Swedish subtitles. Looking forward to the former anyway.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
The 70mm Print of RD I saw a few years ago in Bradford had subs but still looked great.

I would love to see a CA in full colour 70mm, have only ever seen a small pink mute extract in 70mm at Bradford.

enjoy.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Yesterday's screening of RYAN'S DAUGHTER attracted maybe 30 people. The print was a bit faded and very slightly pink or brown in places, but varied in quality from reel to reel, the final reel probably looking best. The Swedish subtitles were not too distracting. Overall the sound was good with directional dialog very apparent.

Chatted at intermission with a couple of guys who were also wide screen fans. Would have loved to have talked more with them, but at the end of the movie I needed to run to the rest room (even with an intermission it is a LONG movie.) and they had vanished by the time I got back to the lobby. Always fun to find people who understand their aspect ratios and sound formats---we are a rare group.

The kid at the concession stand/ticket sales told us that the AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS 70mm print showing on Sunday is a new restoration done from elements in China (!). Have no way of confirming that though it seems a bit fantastic. Does anyone have any info on this?

And if anyone does go to see AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, please post and let us know what the print was like.

Aside from that RYAN'S DAUGHTER is a decidedly mixed bag as a movie. Freddie Young's cinematography is truly remarkable and is in itself reason for the movie to be preserved. Robert Mitchum and Trevor Howard are quite good and here and there Lean pulls off some great sequences. BUT---- the screenplay, based on MADAME BOVARY, is all over the place, seeming to wedge characters and motivation and spectacle elements together that just don't gel. Especially in the second act, the behavior of the title character makes little sense. Then there is the matter of John Mill's Oscar winning performance as the village idiot--- terribly grotesque and in 70mm on the big screen he looks really repulsive. Bolt and Lean use him to make certain narrative points which don't work. Finally there is Christopher Jones, who simply cannot act (his dialog had to be dubbed by another actor). Even using every editing and photographic trick to hide it, he is an empty void on the screen. In short---perhaps Lean's worst movie. I'd still buy a good blu of this for the cinematography alone.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I was hoping someone went and posted about the print. I am going Monday. Sounds like it looked good. So was the sound the original 6 track?

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Thanks for getting back Jim,Sounds like the same print I saw in Bradford (Ryans Dotter on Subtitles) and the 6-track was fab, also like youI would buy the blu for the cinematography alone.ATWI80D restoration from China that's a first, The 70mm print of ATWI80D I saw a Bradford was Pink but the6-track was fantastic.If you going to see Cheyenne Autumn it would be good to hear about that.thanks.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Had to skip CHEYENNE AUTUMN to get back to Richmond, so I don't know about that. Hoping someone will give us a report on today's print of AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS.

mosesSupposes

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Goodrum
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS was deep pink from end to end - enough that the box office staff warned everyone of this when we bought our tickets, and told us refunds were available if it was a problem. There was some audio distortion a bit before and after the intermission. Otherwise the print appeared not to have been run much - there were no noticeable scratches, and 'speckles' were rare. Perhaps 100 people saw the show, and there were plenty of laughs and cheers, the biggest for Buster Keaton.I also saw CHEYENNE AUTUMN and THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY in this series. The AGONY print was in excellent shape - it looked and sounded new (struck recently?). CHEYENNE AUTUMN was a Swedish archival print with subtitles like RYAN'S DAUGHTER, was a bit pink, and was very rough going - spliced every which way - for the first two reels or so. A theater manager warned the assembled before Friday's screening.P.S. The restored 4K DCP of Oklahoma! which the programmers included in the series was as spectacular as Robert Harris indicated in his 'A Few Words About' column.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
mosesSupposes said:
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS was deep pink from end to end - enough that the box office staff warned everyone of this when we bought our tickets, and told us refunds were available if it was a problem. There was some audio distortion a bit before and after the intermission. Otherwise the print appeared not to have been run much - there were no noticeable scratches, and 'speckles' were rare. Perhaps 100 people saw the show, and there were plenty of laughs and cheers, the biggest for Buster Keaton.I also saw CHEYENNE AUTUMN and THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY in this series. The AGONY print was in excellent shape - it looked and sounded new (struck recently?). CHEYENNE AUTUMN was a Swedish archival print with subtitles like RYAN'S DAUGHTER, was a bit pink, and was very rough going - spliced every which way - for the first two reels or so. A theater manager warned the assembled before Friday's screening.P.S. The restored 4K DCP of Oklahoma! which the programmers included in the series was as spectacular as Robert Harris indicated in his 'A Few Words About' column.
That's the same 70mm print of AtWI80D I saw in Bradford, Agony was the same 70mm /Datasat print we had in London, would loved to have seen Cheyenne Autumn and we have not had the 4K DCP of Oklahoma in the UK yet.
many thanks for the report.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Thanks for posting the review of AROUND THE WORLD IN 8O DAY, mosesSupposes. How was the quality of the sound aside from the distortion you mentioned? Also---was there any indication that this was a 30 frames per second print?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks