What's new

Directors AFI Challenge - Movies revote discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
yes I agree with both of you, it is painful deciding on those last ten to take off, but even worse is trying to figure out what to put on, I'm looking at some of your guys' choices and kicking myself wondering how I missed that film, and then realizing there's no room for it.

With four people contributing vote on lists, we have 87 titles vying to get in. the top spot is a tie right now with 46 points each, both films were on the original AFI revote list. Two of the remaining films rounding out the top five weren't on HTFs list and slots 6-8 are a trifecta of films from a director not included on either list.

Out of curiousity, if this contest were including films through 2004, what films do you think would deserve to be on the list?

1. A.I.
2. Almost Famous
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
4. Fight Club
5. Lord of the Rings
6. Monsters Inc.
7. Chasing Amy
8. O Brother Where Art Thou?
9. Magnolia
10. Se7en

runner up
LA Confidential

Adam

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member

1. Toy Story 2
2. L.A. Confidential

EDIT: I had originally listed a top 10, and some other films, which were the best of that time frame, but in terms of actually deserving to be on the AFI 100 list if it went to 2004, I'd only add the two above.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
A.I. would be a definite with Magnolia a possibility, but that is it from the list you gave. I don't even like a few of your picks.

TS 2 would be under heavy consideration, but I'm not sure if it would make the cut or not.

Eyes Wide Shut might be my next biggest contender, but with so many Kubrick films already on the list (and I included two more on my "add to" list), I might go ahead and leave it off.

I think I would place 25th Hour on the list. Punch Drunk Love would be another possibility and since I would like to see another Lynch film on the list, Mulholland Dr. or The Straight Story would be under consideration.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
From Adam's list, other contenders I'd consider would include Lord of the Rings and Monster's Inc. Of the ones Brook mentioned, none would be worthy IMO, except Toy Story 2 of course. (shock, gasp, surprise :))

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Considering what George said, I'd probably say about the top five of those ten would be completely worthy of the AFI list. It's difficult enough to choose as it is. :)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
If those of you who haven't submitted a list yet could get it to me over the weekend that'd be great. Because we'd be ready to go for the next part of the challenge by the start of March.

Adam

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Adam,

Could you post a list of those who have sent you the lists? That way we can verify that you recieved them if we sent them.

Thanks.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'm a bit fuzzy on what you're planning to do with the compiled lists.

If everyone has submitted a ranked list of 25 each and the list is scored then what will we be voting on?

You should have a list of the top 25 vote-getters with this process so I don't understand the reasoning for some kind of voting process, unless there are numerous films with tie scores.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Brook_K - submitted both
George Kaplan - submitted both
Lew Crippen - submitted both
Jim_K - submitted both
Mariano - submitted vote off list.

Jim what we're going to do is take the list of the top twenty five vote getters in each category (vote off and vote on) and compile them together in a list of fifty films. From this fifty everyone will select a ranked list of teh twentyfive best films. This will give us a ranked list of these fifty films, and the top twenty five vote getters of this list (not the top twenty five of the vote on list) is rejoined to the remaining 75 AFI films (to be sorted/ranked in the final stage).

This is Seth's system from last time and it worked out pretty well. What it means is that the films voted off the list are still considered worthy and have a chance to make it back on, and it gives everyone a chance to weight the top twentyfive of the voted on list against all the other films on the list. For instance, hypothetically, say both Back to the Future and Do the Right Thing both make the top 25 voted on list. Now while some like Lew or Brook might pick Do the right thing as one of the top films of the fifty, George would never have it in his top twentyfive, but he might have Back to the future ranked very highly while they might not rank it at all or very low if they do. And if films like Rocky, or Dances with Wolves are both voted off, I might be inclined to vote one or both of them as one of the best twentyfive, while others would never consider them. Basically this gives everyone a say over what movies are worthy, it provides an extra layer of debate and give and take to arrive at more of a group conclusion of the best/most deserving 25 films that should be on the AFI list with the remaining 75 films.

Clear as mud eh?
Adam

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Just a quick update, I'm still waiting for a few of the lists, but we should be ready to progress in a week or two's time.

Adam

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Yeah I have everyone's but Dome's and Micheal Streeter (who may not be participating because he's too busy).

It changes with every new submission, dramatically. Right now we have a five way tie for the 25th place on the 'add on list' each with 25 points. And each new list of the vote offs also causes a bit of reshuffling. For seven people we've had 125 different movies nominated. The top twenty are really clear at this point, but the next five-ten get murky and very competitive.

Mariano

Agent

Wow ! I can´t wait to see those lists to find out the films i´ve forgotten to include on those lists, or maybe, discover some great new ones. :D

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Here are the 25 films voted off the list and their respective scores (total points against)

----------------------------------------
Birth of a Nation - 133
Jazz Singer - 133
Easy Rider - 122
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? - 109
An American in Paris - 107
From Here to Eternity - 94
A Place in the Sun - 91
Tootsie - 81
Giant - 77
Wuthering Heights - 76
West Side Story - 71
Deer Hunter - 62
Forrest Gump - 60
Yankee Doodle Dandy - 56
My Fair Lady - 53
Shane - 49
Midnight Cowboy - 48
M*A*S*H - 44
The Graduate - 44
All About Eve - 43
Amadeus - 42
Dances with Wolves - 42
A Streetcar Named Desire - 41
Annie Hall - 40
The Sound of Music - 40

-----------------------------------

The last votes recieved changed five of the vote-off titles.

Only three titles in the top twenty-five recieved only two votes, everything else recieved three or more.

No one film recieved votes from everybody, every film had at least person think it was good enough to stay on the list.

6 films below the top 25 recieved three votes (mostly low) Patton was the lowest with three votes totalling a mere 10

2 films below the top 25 recieved four votes against them.

71 films recieved votes off the list, 23 of those only recieved one vote.

Birth of a Nation, Easy Rider, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, An American in Paris, and Tootsie all got seven votes.

The following films, noone voted for:

----------------
2001: A Space Odyssey
Apartment, The
Apocalypse Now
Best Years of Our Lives, The
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
City Lights
Clockwork Orange, A
Double Indemnity
Godfather, The
Godfather: Part II, The
Grapes of Wrath, The
It's a Wonderful Life
Jaws
King Kong
North by Northwest
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Psycho
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Rear Window
Schindler's List
Silence of the Lambs, The
Singin' in the Rain
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Some Like It Hot
Sunset Blvd.
Third Man, The
Vertigo
Wizard of Oz, The
---------------------
Participants:
Adam_S
Brook_K
Evan Case
George Kaplan
Jim_K
Lew Crippen
Mariano
Seth Paxton

I'll hopefully post the vote-on list by tomorrow, as soon as I get a few things cleared up on the last list I recieved.

Adam

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Collectively, we really don’t like musicals do we?

Left on the list:

•Singin’ in the Rain
•Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
•Wizard of Oz

Voted off:

•An American in Paris
•West Side Story
•My Fair Lady
•The Sound of Music

WE also kept Duck Soup--(not a musical in my mind, but I know George considers it one)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Speaking for myself when it comes to film genres, the Musical like the Melodrama I can live without and not lose any sleep. There are exceptions to this of course.

Oh and you forgot Yankee Doodle Dandy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks