What's new

AFI 100 Years for 2007 is.... Movies (again) (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
"AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies: 10th Anniversary Edition".

I just recieved word from the AFI (of which I'm a member) that this will be this year's countdown. The list of 400 nominees will include all 100 of the movies that made it onto the first AFI list back in 1998, as well as 44 movies that have been made within the last 10 years or so. The list is being redone
"to mark changing cultural perspectives".

Personal thoughts: Well, I was wrong. I had been told that they wouldn't be doing a recount of the first list...I guess the plan changed. I was hoping that they might next do a list of the greatest fantasy movies of all time, but I guess I can go with this.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I'm sort of at a loss for words.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070118/...o/top100_films

AFI is revisiting it's 100 movies list, and much like the venerable Sight and Sound List, it will revisit it every decade.

AFI hasn't yet posted the eligable films, but the article does mention that only 44 films from the last decade are on it, or about four films per year.

Adam

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So they're re-doing the list just so they can put Lord Of The Rings and Saving Private Ryan on it? :) I know they're out of ideas and they want to mark the tenth anniversary of their list but has there been that many great movies that they need to re-do the list? And I'm not one of those guys that always says "Movies aren't as good as they used to be" either.

Admittedly, it doesn't make a lot of sense (a great movie is a great movie whether it's 1 year old or 75 years old) but I think movies should stand the test of time before making the list. I loved Pulp Fiction and Goodfellas but I felt that they were too new to make the list in 1997. I'm sure that I'll feel the same about any other movie from the last decade that makes the new list.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
the thought just occured to me that a big part of the cultural shift has been the restoration and presentation of classic film for the DVD market. That's had a tremendous impact.

Adam

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
There are a few titles that I'm surprised to see on the list, but it wouldn't be an AFI list without a bit of controversy.

Gabriel>P

Stunt Coordinator
I really like the idea of Rushmore, Eternal Sunshine, and Memento. My question is if they are going to do a another vote. Maybe I missed it, but could things shift around? Like could Raging Bull be moved up?

Or are they just adding films to the original list?

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery !?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!????

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Eh... seen 42/44 (Austin Powers, Mary, figures since I avoid most comedies)

This thread wouldn't be right without complaints: I just don't see the all-time greatness or influence of Good Will Hunting, As Good as it Gets, Boogie Nights, Shakespeare in Love, Rushmore, Being John Malkovich, Erin Brokovich, Lost in Translation, Sideways, The Aviator, Good Night and Good Lock and Hotel Rwanda, most of which I enjoyed very much.

--
H - lists are fun

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

See, I could probably see it on 100 Years 100 Laughs... but part of the 100 Greatest Films of All Time??

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Here's the 44 new films. I"m very curious how many of the original 400 have stuck around for the new 400, of if they're just have a big list of 444, they really should come up with an entirely new set of nominees.

LA CONFIDENTIAL,
GOOD WILL HUNTING,
TITANIC,
AS GOOD AS IT GETS,
AUSTIN POWERS: INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY,
BOOGIE NIGHTS,
SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE,
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN,
RUSHMORE,
THE MATRIX,
FIGHT CLUB,
THREE KINGS,
THE SIXTH SENSE,
THE INSIDER,
THERE’S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY,
AMERICAN BEAUTY,
BEING JOHN MALKOVICH,
REQUIEM FOR A DREAM,
GLADIATOR,
TRAFFIC,
ERIN BROCKOVICH,
SHREK,
MOULIN ROUGE!,
MEMENTO,
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING,
A BEAUTIFUL MIND,
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS,
CHICAGO,
THE HOURS,
FINDING NEMO,
MYSTIC RIVER,
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL,
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING,
LOST IN TRANSLATION,
SIDEWAYS,
HARRY POTTER AND THE PRIZONER OF AZKABAN,
MILLION DOLLAR BABY,
THE AVIATOR,
ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND,
SPIDER-MAN 2,
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN,
GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK,
CRASH and
HOTEL RWANDA.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
going by AFI tastes, I'd say that these are the most likely candidates to get close to the top 100 list:

LA CONFIDENTIAL,
TITANIC,
AS GOOD AS IT GETS,
SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE,
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN,
AMERICAN BEAUTY,
GLADIATOR,
SHREK,
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING,
CHICAGO,
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN,

I expect to see almost all of these chosen by AFI:
TITANIC,
SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE,
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN,
GLADIATOR,
SHREK,
CHICAGO,

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
So where's the complete list? I want to make sure The Shawshank Redemption gets on there this time!

Anyway, it sounds like a cool idea. It could be fun. But shouldn't it be 110 Years...110 Films or something?

And what's up with the AFI's selection of the 10 best films of 2006? It's laughable!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I think I'm the only person left who thinks Stalingrad did everything Ryan did, but better, and 10 years earlier.

EDIT: Oh wait, thats not an American movie, guess it wouldn't count for the AFI.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
In my my mind, the AFI list should be similar to the Baseball Hall Of Fame, there should be a minimum number of years before you can be considered for eligibility. I love alot of the movies on that list but, like I said earlier, their place in history isn't really able to be seen yet. In other words, I have a problem seeing the lasting impact and greatness of a movie that isn't even two years old.

And I'm jumping off of a bridge if There's Something About Mary makes the list. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
IMO, if this listing is done right, I only see about 3-4 films that should be added to the listing. I don't consider Shakespeare in Love, Chicago, Pirates of the Caribbean, Shrek or Gladiator worthy of this listing. Even Titanic would be a hard sale for me, but there's no way the all-time box office winner is not going to be part of this listing so I concede that title along with The Lord of the Rings entry and Saving Private Ryan.

Crawdaddy

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking about it and wondered if LOTR is going to have a problem making the list because the vote may split up since there's three of them for people to vote for. Some people may vote for FOTR (because it's the first one) and some may vote for ROTK (because it's the Oscar winner). Sorta similar to how most people consider The Empire Strikes Back to be the best Star Wars movie but the original SW made the list instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks