Affordable SPL Meter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Fitzsimmons, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

I have recently gained an intrest in home theater and recently bought my first system, a Kenwood HTB-504 in a box system.

My receiver has a feature to adjust the volume of each speaker individualy so everything is balanced. It said in the manual to just do it be ear and get them as balanced as possible. However, I don't think I have a trained enough ear to get the volumes accurate enough. Anyone know where I can get a decently accurate and most importantly affordable sound pressure level meter?

Also, when it comes to system tuning I assume you want your five speakers at all the same level, but how much louder should I set the sub than everything else?

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Everyone, including me, seems to have gotten their SPL meter at Radio Shack. Both analog and digital versions, I think. Go to radioshack.com for info.

An essential piece of equipment, in my book.

3. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

the Radio Shack Sound Level Meter (model 33-2050) is a highly recommended meter and costs around $30 to $40. I have one but can't remember exactly how much it costs. The forum members also seem to suggest that you not calibrate using the recievers test tones but get a calibration disc such as video essentials or Avia. Avia and VE also include test patterns for calibration of your video system. Ebay is a good place to pick up one of these cheap. As for sub calibration, I think that it is kind of subjective. Some people like to run them a few db's higher, and some don't. You'll need to experiment with different settings until you find the level that you prefer.

Greg

4. Matt Malto

Matt Malto Stunt Coordinator

Analog SPL Meters are $39.99 at Radio Shack. Just picked one up tonight. Returning it because I just bought a used one in the FS/FT forum for $25. [​IMG]

5. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Mark, after you get your SPL meter, I suggest you read this....I think you'll find it very helpful.
    Vin