Affordable separate vs. high end receiver – which one is BETTER?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike_Jo, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Mike_Jo

Mike_Jo Agent

Just wondering which system would produce the better results:

An affordable separate system like Rotel 1066 + RMB 1075 (120 watts) – approx $2500 (what other brands/models would fall under this price range for separates?)

Or a high end receiver like Sunfire Ultimate Receiver, Denon 5803, Yamaha RX-Z or Pinoeer Elite – approx $2,000+

Speakers driven will be Paradigm 60 or 100 with complementary studio speakers for a 5.1 or 6.1 set-up.

I just thought that the high end receivers would cost the same as the Rotel separates but will give me more power. Any thoughts from you audiophile gurus?

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

In my experience, performance wise, a low-end separates system is about equivalent to a high-end receiver. Click the little green house and go through the history to see what I've had through the years.

My high end receiver experience is an Onkyo Integra 919. Separates are Sherwood/Newcastle AV-P9080/AM-9080 and Outlaw 950. Speakers are B&W DM602.

For flexibility the separates have a very distinct edge. When I wanted to upgrade my preamp it was easy to replace it with another unit with the features I wanted and cheaper than replacing a whole high end receiver.

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Mike:

For $2398 the Outlaw 950 PrePro/770 Pwr Amp is a great combination for the money. The 770 is 200 watts per channel x 7. The 950 gives you everything thing out there in the way of processing except the propriatery Logic 7.

I have been using this combo for about 6 months now and couldn't be happier.

If you want less power the 950/7100 combo can be had for $1598. The 7100 is a 100 watt per channel x 7 power amp.

If you don't have any need for 7 channels of amp power you could get the 950/755 combo. The 755 is 200 watts per channel x 5 and the combo is only $1998.

I went with the 7 channel model to sort of future proof my setup so when I get around to adding the extra 2 speakers all I have to do is hook them up.

I agree with Phillip that separates are the way to go.

Parker

4. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I could definitely hear a difference in comparing separates with high end receivers. Separates were better to my ears. Just listen to them and hear for yourself.

5. Mike_Jo

Mike_Jo Agent

Thanks for your inputs. Now I am 99% sure to get separates... and here is the next questions hahaha

Adcom vs. Rotel vs. Outlaw - any other brands you guys would recommend?

6. Jonathann_K

Jonathann_K Agent

I love my used Lexicon MC-1 along with a 5 channel Parasound 855. I am using a crappy old reciever for the 2 other channels until I find a nice 2 or 3 channel amp to replace it. Music and movies in Logic 7 - its like being in heaven =)

This is a relatively affordable combo also

7. Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

Mike--

I like your list, but I would also add Parasound among the affordable separates. they are in the same price range as the Adcoms and I really like their sound.

8. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Best thing to do is audition as much as possible at home to see what best fits your setup. My pre/pro(Marantz AV560U) though only DD/DTS, does an excellent job processing and was a steal at $625CDN/$400US for NIB. ON the amplification side I was using a Rotel RMB-1066 which powered my Paradigms to nirvana. Now I have a Rotel 1095, which I was able to pickup for $1550CDN/$1000US with a 9yr warranty. Audition, audition, audition, and while your doing that checkout all the sites for used equipment to get the price you want.

Kevin

9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Couldn't agree more with the budget seperates recomendation. The Rotel combo is very hard to beat for music and HT.

10. Mike_Jo

Mike_Jo Agent

I would love to get a used equipment but the problem is i reside in asia so its just not possible since the used market does not exist here [​IMG]

Andrew - i guess you are right. The rotel combo does appear good value for moeny and looks good too. My only discomfort is with its power - 125 watts for the rmb 1075 and the bigger amp is out of my budget. Will that be enough to power studio 100's if i decide to get them instead of 60's. How does the rotel combo compare to adcom, outlaw and parasound? Or even the denon 5803 or sunfire ultimate... 200 watts hahaha

11. Mike_Jo

Mike_Jo Agent

#%@#*^&$^! ha ha ha - just learned that there are no adcom, outlaw or parasound dealers here! Won't risk getting one without product support. There goes my choices!

Whats left is denon, sunfire, rotel, bryston, yamaha, harman kardon and pioneer. [​IMG]

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The Rotels 125 real watts will be fine for the Paradigm...besides you can always add a more powerful 2 channel amp later for the mains if you feel you need more power.

there hasn't been much talk about the Adcom or the new parasounds but there's been tons of talk on the Rotels esp here and lots of Outlaw talk on their forums. I will say though that most people that bought both ended up keeping the Rotel since in general it does better on music. Also resale would likely be higher on the Rotel's should you decided to sell them at some point....esp in asia where the outlaw name might not be as known (not that its that well known here to the average joe)