What's new

Affordable projector? (1 Viewer)

Jason Graine

Auditioning
I have recently decided to buy a rear projection tv, with the help of this fine forum. However, no sooner do I make this decision than my friend begins to suggest my money might be better invested in a video projector. I know little about projection televisions, but next to nothing about video projectors. The little bit of research I have done tells me they are very expensive. What I want to know is what is the absolute least amount of money I can spend on one of these things without sacrificing any basic functionality and quality. For example, I would like to be able to watch TV and play dvds in a reasonable amount of light (as if I were watching a tv) and little else. How much would I have to spend to be able to do this?

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
I've been researching projectors as well, and have found a wealth of information at the AV Science digital projector forum. You'll find more there than any one person could provide to you here.
The current bargain projector of choice seems to be the Panasonic AE100. Many have imported it from Japan, but it's supposed to have a stateside price of ~$2000. I'm not sure when it's coming out though.
The best way to decide on a projector would be to go and see them in action at a dealer. Don't expect RPTV-like images in a brightly lit room, because you'll be disappointed. But a properly set up projector in a dark room can be stunning.

Jason Graine

Auditioning
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to stick with the Rear Projection. I just love the look of them. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks