1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Affordable Progressive DVD Player? Under $1000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kenneth Lee, Aug 3, 2001.

1. Kenneth Lee

Kenneth Lee Stunt Coordinator

Hey All,
    I was looking for a cost-effective Progressive Scan DVD Player, under $1000 (ideally below $900). The player should also be able to handle non-Progressive, non-Anamorphic DVDs well.
    Does anyone have suggestions?
    I was thinking of:
    * Pioneer DV-37 DVD Player
    * Phillips Q50 DVD Player (new one coming out with the FLI Faroudja(sp?) chip)
    Any others?
    *** Lastly, if possible, it should have a Region-Free version available (the DV-37).
    Thanks again,
    Ken

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

It's the Panasonic DVD-RP91 for you then.
    I've heard the Sage/Faroudja chipset doesn't do the pseudo-anamorphic scaling like the RP91.
    Anyone like to prove me wrong...? I'd love to see this feature on the Sage/Faroudja chip along with no chroma bug.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
    [Edited last by Dan Hitchman on August 04, 2001 at 01:02 AM]

3. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

If you want progressive, non-anamorphic scaling, and region free, check out the Malata 996. Becoming quite the talk amongst HTF and AVSForum. I just recently ordered mine, hoping to get it by wednesday.
    Retails for about 300 to 350 USD.
    http://www.avdeals.com/malata_dvd.htm

4. Pete B.

Pete B. Stunt Coordinator

Ken,
    Keep your eye out for the results of the DVD Shootout II which should be posted shortly on this forum and Hometheaterspot.com. This will assist you in your search for the holy grail of progressive DVD players. From what I've been reading over the last few weeks, the Panasonic RP91 & the Malada N996 are the current front runners in the under $500 category. If your looking for a DVD jukebox, await the results of testing on the new Kenwood 400 disc player coming out this month. This is the one I'm drooling over but the Mrs. hasn't given me the "go ahead and get it" look yet :)
    Pete

5. Kenneth Lee

Kenneth Lee Stunt Coordinator

James: Malata - I heard about it, but wasn't sure. Does that also have a Faroudja FLI chip in it? (like the Skyworth 1050p?) Or is it just a good progressive player overall?
    Dan: the RP91 sounds good, but is the Panasonic RP91 Region-Free as well?
    If so, do you have a recommendation for a place to get it at? I haven't seen this model offered that way before.
    Pete: Yeah, I'm really waiting for the DVD Shootout II, but I was afraid it would never get posted! It's been so long since they announced it. It should be interesting to see how the Progressive DVD Players all fare.
    Thanks,
    Ken
    ------------------
    Peace,
    Ken Lee
    "Let Manga E. know we want better quality DVD's!"
    http://www.123petitions.com/[email protected]$2

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

There are no region free set top players available through normal channels in the States Kenneth. You have to go to the "grey market" which may or may not have a modification for the Panasonic DVD-RP91, or an overseas manufacturer.
    However, if a disc has RCE (I think that's the code) protection, even a Region Free player will not accept the disc.
    One thing about the Malata I've read about is its relatively cheap build quality. More like an APEX or Skyworth. At least the Panny's a little more robust and has DVD-Audio too.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

7. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
  8. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator

JVC- They have 2 different versions. One is silver and the other is GOLD. I have seen them anywhere from $169 to $249 compared to Sony's $349 and even RCA's $299.

9. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

I'm running JVC's new S65 Progressive Scan player and am quite happy with it. $249

10. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

11. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

Matt, noticed you're in my area; where did you pick up your Pioneer? I have an older version (525), but looking for progressive. The 525 is transport is also rather loud while playing, does the 343 have this 'problem'?

12. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

quote: One thing about the Malata I've read about is its relatively cheap build quality. More like an APEX or Skyworth. At least the Panny's a little more robust and has DVD-Audio too.[/quote]
    This is absolutely not true! I have had the Malata for 4 days now and have put it through constant abuse, playing discs non-stop and it has not had a single problem. It has performed beyond my wildest dreams AND, as a former owner of an Apex, a Sampo and a Raite DVD player(s) I can tell you, the build quality is vastly superior.
    I have also owned the Toshiba 3107, the 5109 and a code free SD1600 and the Malata is comparable to all of the above in build quality. It isn't heavy, but it isn't cheap or unattractive.
    This notion that a player ain't worth having if it doesn't weigh in at 197 lbs is getting a little out of hand. Fact is, the Malata beats any Toshiba player hands down (or pretty much any other players too) and matches the outstanding Panny RP91 in almost every category. [​IMG]
    A resounding thumbs up from a very picky, anal retentive, hard to please consumer.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman
    [Edited last by Matt_Stevens on August 05, 2001 at 09:02 PM]

13. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Barry,
    I got my 343 from dvdoverseas.com . The 343 is not silent as far as transport noise goes, but it's not obtrusive either, unless you're 1-2 feet away from the player. Note that the 343 is not progressive (pioneer's only true progressive offerings are in their elite line)
    -Matt
    ------------------
    My DVD collection