What's new

Affordable DIY Sub that will outperform the VTF-3? (1 Viewer)

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Is there such a thing? I currently have the VTF-2, but find myself wanting more. I've been considering a DIY sub for a while, but Im skeptical on finding an affordable sub that will outperform dual vtf-2s or a single vtf-3. Can someone point me in the right direction? I should also note that i prefer this DIY sub to have the amp onboard-no external amps

Thanks

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Price range $500-700(cheaper would be even better)

Size -no taller than 33 inches

this sub is mainly used for HT

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Okay-did some measuring. Max height it can be is 33 inches-max width -26 inches & max depth 21 inches. sorry for not posting them before

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
A ported Tempest 15 with the PE 250 amp, ~ $300 (7 cu. ft.)
ported Stryke AV-15 with the PE 250 amp, ~ $375 (6 cu. ft.)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
There are no out right plans for the AV15. Here is a link to plans for the Tempest:
http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/tempest_apps.htm
You'll have to modify some dimension on these plans. As long as the internal volume and port lengths stay the same it won't affect the performance.
You can get some good ideas on what to do with the AV15 by going here and getting in touch with Kyle (Acoustic Visions) or John Janowitz (sp?, Stryke).
Link Removed

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
Is there such a thing? I currently have the VTF-2, but find myself wanting more. I've been considering a DIY sub for a while, but Im skeptical on finding an affordable sub that will outperform dual vtf-2s or a single vtf-3. Can someone point me in the right direction? I should also note that i prefer this DIY sub to have the amp onboard-no external amps
My cousin had a VTF-2 that he was pretty happy with. Then I started talking about DIY subs, and he bit. We bought a Parts Express DVC 12", 300-794 250 watt amp, a 4" vent port kit and the 3 cu ft Titanic enclosure. About 6 hours later, he had a sub that trounced the VTF-2, for about $500 total cost. The hardest part was figuring out how to route the port tubing around the internal bracing to get the 24" length required. We ended up using 2 PVC elbows.

The VTF-3 may go a little lower - we tuned for 21 Hz and they claim 16 Hz, I think. But this thing really rocks - he had to put rubber bumpers behind all his pictures to keep them from rattling and moving around. It was a real straightforward project, if you don't have major carpentry skills.

I can send you some digital pics if you want to see how it turned out.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks