What's new

Affordable alt to PartsExpress? (1 Viewer)

Ben.T

Agent
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I've been searching unsuccessfully for an alternative to PartsExpress for speaker wire, banana plugs, outlet covers etc.

Anyone have some suggestions?

MikeWh

Second Unit
I use PartsExpress for the harder-to-find items, like larger gauge audio wall connectors and banana plugs. Standard outlet covers and gang boxes are cheaper at Home Depot/Lowes (as you'd expect, being that they are standard construction materials). Modular wall plates are also available at Home Depot/Lowes, but there are several different form factors, so I just buy those plates at PE, if I need larger gauge connectors. If you're using 14-gauge or thinner, HD/Lowes has all those connectors & wall plates. I bought speaker wire at HD, as well. I did not get in-wall rated, but it was certainly a reasonable price.

BTW, I've used another speaker & electronics parts company several times in the past, and PE is much cheaper than the other company. So, I hardly think twice about using PE. Do you have some examples of what's not "affordable" there?

Ben.T

Agent
It's totally not about PE not being affordable... I want to find another compnay that is AS affordable as they are. :)

I just wanted a few diff options on speaker wire, banana plugs, wall covers and the like.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Ron! MCM is the "other" vendor I decided not the mention! I bought several items in the past from them that were all substantially cheaper at PE. For example-- This weekend, I just bought some speaker grille guides (the ball & socket pegs). I can't find them on the MCM site right now (I can't stand their site design, although it's MUCH better than 4-5 years ago).... but, as I recall from their catalog they sold 4 for almost $3. PE had 24 for $1.75. Also, I (unfortunately) bought grille cloth from MCM several years ago. It was way overpriced, compared to Joanne's. I don't mean to beat up a vendor, but I just thought it was ironic that you mentioned them.

Do you know of a couple examples of good deals at MCM? I still like looking through their catalogs they send me, because they DO have a WIDE assortment of goods....

Ben.T

Agent
Ya I've purchases from MCM back in the pre-Internet days. They always did seem a bit more expensive than PE but I just couldn't find their website. (Prob did, just from its look thought I found a different company)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Only bought two items through MCM, both (Plate Amp and "L" shaped RCA adaptors) were cheaper then PE. Never did much research beyond that though.

Peace Out~:D

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I think MCM is a little cheaper with their raw cable.

Also, Apex-JR sometimes has cheap stuff.. although their stock is geared a little more for project electronics.

Oh, and American Science & Surplus carries some wire. Plus it's fun to look through the other stuff they have. I'm lucky to have one of their retail locations in town... whenever I need a heat-seeking guidance system.. I know where to look. :)

MikeWh

Second Unit
Nice, Dave... I had an American Surplus catalog years ago. I was trying to remember the name of that place just 3-4 months ago. I've got some browsing to do! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks