affordable 10 or 12 gauge Speaker wires?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tim_, May 19, 2005.

1. Tim_

Tim_ Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to upgrade my 10 years old 18 gauge monster speaker wire due to my concern about oxidation/deteriation. I being doing some research on the 10/12 gauge speaker wire with banana plug but just couldn't justify the price tag of $90.00 plus for a 6 ft. Doesn't it really do make that much of a differences? Is there other alternatives?

2. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

I've been using Soung King 10GA with Dayton Bananas and I'm very happy. Both are available cheap on partsexpress.com

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

SoundKing is a nice, flexible wire. If you want something different from the clear vinyl sheeth, try KnuKonceptz for only a little more. They've got some blue and blue/clear offerings that look pretty sharp. I believe audioholics might've had an article with pics on how to assemble your own. It's not all that difficult and by spending a few extra dollars, you can give your cables a pretty sharp look if that's what floats your boat.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  5. Jonny*D

Jonny*D Agent

I'm looking 12 Gauge

Is there a difference in in Acoustic Research, Sound King, or Karma?

Oxygen-free copper is oxygen-free copper. True??? Should I beware of anything?

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Appearance, maybe flexibility, or if it happens to be terminated somehow and that's what you're looking for.

Almost all copper wire sold today is oxygen free whether it says so or not. Even if it's not, it doesn't matter.

You should beware of cable and wire reviews in the same way you should beware of infomercials.

7. Jonny*D

Jonny*D Agent

That could pose a problem. Every time I watch an infomercial, I buy something