Affair To Remember...will new Version from FOX be 16x9 Anamorphic?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaViD Boulet, Nov 5, 2002.

1. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Fox is said to be re-releasing this title as part of their classics collecion (see the digitalbits.com). As most of the other film that are geting "re" released in this series are getting new transfers, any news if this title will emerge on DVD 16x9 this go-around? The current version is a respectable 4x3 lbxed transfer, but obviously could use some improvement with 16x9 resolution.

thanks!

-dave

p.s. if so, what you do guys recommend...sell my current disc on ebay/amazon?

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    It seems like they're remastering all of their Studio Classics films, so I would assume they would do the same with this film.

3. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I sure hope so!

4. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    I have the Pal Region 4 version and it's 2.35:1 Anamorphic.

While the colors at times tend to be a little faded, overall the Disc with the help of the Anamorphic enhancement, while not quite up to some of Fox's later releases such as the MM collections, it still looks pretty good.
    The sound is Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo.

It's interesting to note that another of Deborah Kerr's Fox Films "The King and I" is also Anamorphic on Region 4 and yet non-anamorphic on region 1.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

6. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Funny you should mention it. I just sold mine tonight (on Amazon) in anticipation of this reported new release next year. The current version appears to be out of print.

I did the same with "How Green Was My Valley" recently.

7. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

The biggest problem with Boxs AFFAIR TO REMEMBER and LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING was not the picture but the sound - it needede new transfers from the original four channel tracks ( which the FRENCH tracks got - just listen to how wonderful they sound compared to the Englich on thewse discs.) Also heard that fox has Garden of Evilin the pipeline in 4.0!!

8. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    Joe, I hope your right about "Garden of Evil", as I have requested it many times on the Studio's Feedback forum.

Not only is the movie highly entertaining, but to hear that incredible Bernard Herrmann Score in 4.0, I get goose bumps just thinking about it.

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

A funny thing, and this is probably the right place to mention it:

I was just this second crusing through Image Entertainment's site looking at specs for new listings. I looked at the listing for "Unfaithful" (2002 film with Diane Lane). One of the specs listed was this:

The Making of "An Affair To Remember".

Note that Unfaithful is a Fox title, as evidenced by Image putting the Fox logo in place of the not-yet-available box art. Perhaps they had a mix-up of some sort?

If this is an accurate supplement listing, though, it seems pretty weird. Doncha think? I'm sure both films would be a good watch, and I realize AAtR is a classic and all, but neither one has been high on my priority list. Is the new one a modern remake of the old one? That might be a stupid question, but I REALLY don't know much about either film. But, IIRC, the "modern" film to "re-do" AAtR in any fashion was Sleepless In Seattle, wasn't it?

10. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

from today's www.dvdfile.com
    Fox has also announced another in their new classic film collection, a newly remastered edition of the beloved An Affair to Remember. Arriving on February 4th, the release includes a new 2.35;1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, plus extras including an audio commentary by Marnie Nixon & Joseph McBride, "Shipboard" movie premiere footage, an AMC Backstory special, a still gallery, and the trailer.
    great news
    [​IMG]