What's new

Affair To Remember...will new Version from FOX be 16x9 Anamorphic? (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Fox is said to be re-releasing this title as part of their classics collecion (see the digitalbits.com). As most of the other film that are geting "re" released in this series are getting new transfers, any news if this title will emerge on DVD 16x9 this go-around? The current version is a respectable 4x3 lbxed transfer, but obviously could use some improvement with 16x9 resolution.

thanks!

-dave

p.s. if so, what you do guys recommend...sell my current disc on ebay/amazon?

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I have the Pal Region 4 version and it's 2.35:1 Anamorphic.

While the colors at times tend to be a little faded, overall the Disc with the help of the Anamorphic enhancement, while not quite up to some of Fox's later releases such as the MM collections, it still looks pretty good.
The sound is Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo.

It's interesting to note that another of Deborah Kerr's Fox Films "The King and I" is also Anamorphic on Region 4 and yet non-anamorphic on region 1.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's interesting to note that another of Deborah Kerr's Fox Films "The King and I" is also Anamorphic on Region 4 and yet non-anamorphic on region 1.
It was released in the dark times, before the Staddon when Fox released everything non-anamorphic even when they had HiDef masters available.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Funny you should mention it. I just sold mine tonight (on Amazon) in anticipation of this reported new release next year. The current version appears to be out of print.

I did the same with "How Green Was My Valley" recently.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
The biggest problem with Boxs AFFAIR TO REMEMBER and LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING was not the picture but the sound - it needede new transfers from the original four channel tracks ( which the FRENCH tracks got - just listen to how wonderful they sound compared to the Englich on thewse discs.) Also heard that fox has Garden of Evilin the pipeline in 4.0!!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Joe, I hope your right about "Garden of Evil", as I have requested it many times on the Studio's Feedback forum.

Not only is the movie highly entertaining, but to hear that incredible Bernard Herrmann Score in 4.0, I get goose bumps just thinking about it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
A funny thing, and this is probably the right place to mention it:

I was just this second crusing through Image Entertainment's site looking at specs for new listings. I looked at the listing for "Unfaithful" (2002 film with Diane Lane). One of the specs listed was this:

The Making of "An Affair To Remember".

Note that Unfaithful is a Fox title, as evidenced by Image putting the Fox logo in place of the not-yet-available box art. Perhaps they had a mix-up of some sort?

If this is an accurate supplement listing, though, it seems pretty weird. Doncha think? I'm sure both films would be a good watch, and I realize AAtR is a classic and all, but neither one has been high on my priority list. Is the new one a modern remake of the old one? That might be a stupid question, but I REALLY don't know much about either film. But, IIRC, the "modern" film to "re-do" AAtR in any fashion was Sleepless In Seattle, wasn't it?

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
from today's www.dvdfile.com
Fox has also announced another in their new classic film collection, a newly remastered edition of the beloved An Affair to Remember. Arriving on February 4th, the release includes a new 2.35;1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, plus extras including an audio commentary by Marnie Nixon & Joseph McBride, "Shipboard" movie premiere footage, an AMC Backstory special, a still gallery, and the trailer.
great news
:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks