What's new

Aesthetic: RP91 in Champagne? (1 Viewer)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Well if you have followed my DVD posts you would know that I've been convinced by you guys that the RP91 is the player to get.

I called up some local stores that sell the RP91 and they only have it in Champagne colour. Being that my everything is essentially black would it not so good? Well I guess I don't have a choice but it would stick out quite a bit would it?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
You could get it in black on-line.

Ecost.com worked out for a neighbor of mine and they got it at a reasonable price.

I'm sure there are other suggestions out there.

Dan

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I prefer to pick it up at retail. Would anyone buy an extended warranty on this player?

I went and checked and there is a store that has the black and I have reserved it. I don't like the store too much though. The other store that sells the Champagne is a store I trust more. What do you think? Should I get the Champagne and buy it from what I think is a more reliable store or should I go and buy the black? I guess having the champagne unit can be classy. Anyone who have champagne who would rather buy the black now?

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
So you would rather pay $700 for the champagne color that you don't really want instead of paying $450 for the black color that you want? That savings of $250 could buy you 12 DVDs to watch on your new DVD player, not to mention get you the black color of the component.:rolleyesThe decision seems pretty easy to me.......go mail order.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Howard, I have a Champagne RP91 along with all my other black components and it does stand out but not in a bad way. It makes it look quite unique.

But, having said that, I'd buy the cheapest one I could get my hands on.

Patrick

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
StevenH. I live in Canada so mail ordering will hit me much harder than you think. The price I can get for the unit is around $550US. And if it's UPS shipping, I'll be hit with brokerage fees that are not at all cheap. (30% of total order?) It's rather rediculous I think.

PatrickM. Where did you buy yours? In Vancouver? If so which store and at what price.

The champagne does look quite nice. Maybe better than the black although the black will fit in more. Hmm... any more help? How 'bout owners for champagne units. Will you buy black now?

PaulKH

Second Unit
Howard, what happened to the idea of 'free trade' between the U.S. and Canada?!

Anyway, I too have black components and I decided against getting a JVC 'champagne' (or gold, they call it) player because of the color. I certainly would not have bought a champagne RP91 either. If I was going to spend that much more money for a player I was going to get what I wanted, which is black. So I ordered a black one (it's on its way).

If local dealers have champagne ones can't they get off their fat behinds and just get you a black one?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Howard, I would get the 'RP91 in black if it is significantly cheaper than the champagne unit, but if they are similar in price, I'd get the champagne version. I have the Technics DVD-A10, which preceded the 'RP91, and the 'A10 was only available in champagne. Although all my other components are black, I love the look of the 'A10. I wish more components were available in champagne or silver in North America.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
They are the same price. Are they suppose to be different in price?

It's really weird. I think only UPS charges brokerages fees. Maybe Fedex too. But using Canadian courier companies there's no charge.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Howard, a dealer offering both chassis colors will charge the same price for each. However, if a mail-order has the black unit for $450 USD and a brick-and-mortar dealer has the champagne unit for $700 USD, I would definitely go with the black unit. In the US, I haven't come across a brick-and-mortar dealer offering both colors. Tweeter here only has the black version.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Howard,
I actually bought mine online from Link Removed which is located in Ontario. One of the guys there posts on the forum under JohnnyG I believe.
Good service. I believe they have both the black and champagne coloured ones for $829.00 CAD.
Patrick

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i ordered my RP91 two weeks ago from J&R for $440 shipped; it was champagne. i dont understand all this talk about not having a choice of colors online-- most places i looked had both colors in stock.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I hope I didn't confuse anyone about the colours. It's just that my fav store doesn't carry Panasonic so I have to search for other stores. I only have two other store that I've bought things from and I like one store more than the other. However the store that I like doesn't have black.

I'm leaning towards the champagne. Although talk about the black having the later build and thus firmwire upgrade has me thinking about black. Hopefully I'll get a few responses by tomorrow cause i plan to pick one up tomorrow or I won't have time.

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
Howard......check out the hardware for sale section of this BB. There is a champagne RP-91 for sale for $350......I was going to buy this unit until I found out it wasn't black. That will save you even more money, he could ship it to you as a gift and you could avoid some taxes and fees that way.
Andrew Pasani was the guy selling it, he was very helpful in emails, so check it out and see what you think.
Here is a link to the post -
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ight=panasonic

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
:) I've decided to buy from the store that I like. Not my favorite but a store a like with actually very good reputations. Lets see I think I've bought 3tvs and 2VCRS from them in the past.
I think I'm going to go with Champagne.

Len Cheong

Second Unit
Howard,

I would go with the Champaigne too. It just looks nice. I have a champaigne technics receiver and though it costs the same as the black model, it looks more expensive.

By the way, which Canadian couriers do you use which don't charge brokerage fees?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
While I have the black RP-91, I do have a silver Samsung SIR-T150 HDTV tuner in my rack. It's the only non-black component I own, but it looks fine in the equipment rack. I wouldn't worry too much about the color if you can find the unit you want from the dealer you like.

PaulKH

Second Unit
Scott, I also have the SIR-T150 which is also my only non-black component. Just today I was wondering how I might take that silver face plate off and spray paint it black. :D

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I'm actually thinking that once I get the RP91 I'll buy another component that is champagne in colour. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks