Aesop's Fables (Fables Studios) cartoons needed on DVD. Warner might own the rights

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eugene Esterly, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

I would really love to see all of the Aesop's Fables cartoons that Fable Studios created. According to the page at http://www.bcdb.com/pages/Other_Stud...ios/index.html, this amounts to almost 363 animation shorts. These cartoons were created between 1920-1929. I would really love to own all of the Aesop's Fables cartoons on DVD because I really love old animation.

Aesop's Fables was produced by Fable Studios (aka Aesop's Fables Studio). It was distrubuted by Pathé Exchange Inc. I read on the Internet that Pathé Exchange Inc. merged with RKO Pictures around 1929. I also read that Ted Turner purchased a lot of the stuff that RKO Pictures produced. So, I believe that Warner owns the rights to these cartoons.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Warner Bros. only owns the RKO feature film library. The short subjects were split up among various small companies like Commonwealth and Unity.

From what I've read, the cartoons don't seem to exist except for a few fragments.

Viacom owns the Terrytoons and the VanBuren library is owned by no one (although, Film Preservation Associates seems to have good materials for some of them).

3. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info. Researching the owners of old cartoons is very hard because it is very stechy about who owns the rights. I was also wondering about the VanBuren library (thanks for the info) because I currently own Cartoons That Time Forgot: From The Van Buren Studio (owned it since Nov 2000) & I read on IMDB that Van Buren produced over 200+ cartoons.

Well, I'm on the subject. PatrickMcCart, do you know who currently owns the rights to the Alice & Krazy Kat shorts which were distrubuted or produced by M. J. Winkler Productions . I know that M. J. Winkler Productions had something to dow with Oswald the Lucky Rabbit (I know that Oswald belongs to Universal).

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    It looks like Disney owns all the surviving Alice cartoons.

The surviving Oswald cartoons might be owned by Universal still.