Aerosmith - You Gotta Move on A&E

Discussion in 'Music' started by Brian L, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Anyone else catch this last night?

A pretty decent documentary, with a few good live performance (shown in their entirety), but like most all music related shows, the editing was ridiculous.

I quite literally got dizzy watching it. Who ever edited this is/was a world class idiot, obviously suffering from a severe case of ADD. I don't think there was one camera shot in any of the live performance segments that lasted longer than 1 second.

If there are folks out there that enjoy this kind of production, I would like to meet them so they explain to me WHY.

The concerts were obviously filmed in a planned way with multiple camera locations. There was soooo much potential here. Why it had to be trashed in the editing room will remain a mystery. What I would give for access to the raw footage.

OK, enough venting. What was good about the show? The audio of the live tracks was NOT mucked with, so you get to hear some real chestnuts live, live Toys in the Attic and Back in the Saddle. Of course, you also need to wade through Jaded and Cryin' but that's the price of admission, I guess.

And the in-studio stuff while they were tracking Bobo is pretty cool, too.

If I was not of the opinion that Aerosmith is the best hard rock band known to man, I may not have slugged through the whole 2 hours, but for a fan, its a "must see". Crappy, MTV style editing not withstanding.

BGL

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Just got this on DVD, and wanted to post a quick review. I was corresponding with my bud Kevin C. Brown on this, but I thought it would be good discussion fodder for the forum in general.

Well, the bad news is that it appears to be the same edit as what was broadcast on A&E. I love this band, but I can not watch this....as I said when the show aired, there is not one single shot that lasts more than 2 seconds (I gave then a 1 second bonus from when I initially connected). OK, that may be an exaggeration, but to say that this literally makes me dizzy is not.

The performances are great, and I will be watching the extras when I get a chance, but I can't deal with the editing of the show. Next time I cue this up, the TV will be off.

OK, the good news? The bonus CD kicks ass! Toys, Rats, Saddle.....great stuff, and pretty well recorded. If you can find this for $10, I would say that the CD alone is worth the price. Here is a tip...listen to it with headphones. Brad is on the left, Joe is on the right. You will develop a great appreciation for what Brad brings to the band. I knew he was a great guitar player, but he is the source of a lot of tasty licks that I always thought were Joe.

And on Saddle, Joe is playing the 5 string, fuzzed bass like on the record, which leave most of the lead work to Brad....a Killer Track!

BGL