1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Aerial Acoustics Speakers - what would drive them nicely for music only?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, Sep 5, 2001.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I am thinking about buying a pair of Aerial Acoustic Model 10T speakers. What stereo preamp/amp combo(s) from my choices below match well with those speakers?
    - B&K PT-3 plus a Reference 2220 amp
    - Parasound PLD-1100 plus a 1500A amp
    - Acurus RL-11 plus an A200 amp
    - Magnum Dynalab MD208
    - VTL TL-2.5 plus an ATI 1502 amp
    I am initially limited to $2000 for my preamp/amp/tuner/phono preamp combo... but will probably upgrade them over time.
    So, which would you choose...
    Or if you have any other suggestions, pleas recommend them! Thanks for your help!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

2. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

How about a Rogue 66 preamp and an Odyssey Stratos? You could upgrade the Stratos to monos later on, and sell the preamp as you go on up. A used 66 runs about 700 bucks, so not a big investment. Most come with remotes as well [​IMG]
    I am thinking about getting a Rogue myself for my Stratos...
    I would defintiely avoid the B&K stuff (which i feel isn't a great value), as well as the Parasound stuff (too bright for my tastes).
    Of course, you never mention your source. If that isn't up to par, I doubt the other stuff will matter.
    BTW, a couple pair are on audiogon for 4k or less. Some deals to be had on that site right now....

3. Ken Stokes

Ken Stokes Agent

Aerial is not a very efficient speaker and the 10ts are very power hungry. I have a set of LR5s on order and a CC5 center. I talked to Mike Kelly at Aerial and told me I could "get by" with a Theta Dreadnaught (200wpc of very clean power) but would do better with double that!
    If you call Aerial I'm sure they will give you some good advice although they may be closed this week do to the show.
    Go with the most powerful high quality amp you can get your hands on.
    Ken

4. EarlR

EarlR Stunt Coordinator

John
    I agree with Ken the Aerial's only sound the best with good high power amplification. I would recommend looking for a used Classe amp and pre amp. The CA300,301,400,401 amps would all be great and I have seen them at reasonable prices on audiogon.
    Earl
    ------------------

5. Nathan Ivey

Nathan Ivey Auditioning

Dude,
    You're getting some great advice here and I completely agree with the Rogue and Classe suggestions.
    I have the Rogue 99 and an Acurus A200 driving my Martin Logan Odysseys and I love what the Rogue does for music. If you can get a Rogue you must it will kick some serious tale. I was going to get the 66 but the bush tax return came in so I jumped to the 99.
    I think a CA-201 would fit the bill!
    The Acurus is a huge value and with a good front end will kick pretty effective but for

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Thanks for your help!
    In my quest to find a pair of Aerial 7Bs to demo, I found another pair of 10Ts. I just couldn't resist and listened to all kinds of music for about an hour or so. During some loud playback of Aerosmith, I noted a bit of harshness coming from the front left unit. As I approached I could tell that it was clipping. I immediately turned down the volume on the Crestron touch pad and went into the next room where the rack was located. The amp being used to drive the 10Ts was the Classe A CAV-150. Although at reasonable volume levels, the sound was immersive, it is apparent to me that I will need more than 200wpc to drive these speakers at my levels. I think from what I heard today, the Classe A 300wpc amp would be a perfect amp for these speakers...
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------

7. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

John,
    If you dont mind me asking, where in H-town were you able to demo the Aeriels?

8. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Steve B over @ AVSForum uses Bryston 7B's to run his Aerials and there seems to be a few other Aerial users over there as well.
    PF

9. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Jason: they have the Model 8s set up for demo at Audio Concepts and the 10Ts are at Jobe Systems in Conroe. I first heard the 10Ts at a dealer in Madison, MS. Still, I haven't heard the 7Bs which was the speaker I first set out to hear...?
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------

10. Jasen Kent

Jasen Kent Extra

How would it work using a 5-channel Theta Dreadnaught and bi-amping the Aerials? (2 channels for each left/right speaker). I currently have the Aerial 7B's and CC5 center speaker.
    I also heard that the CAL 2500 amp can power the Aerials with excellent results (5 x 500 watts per channel).
    Thanks.

11. EarlR

EarlR Stunt Coordinator

Jasen
    You should talk to Michael Kelly at Aerial. Bi-amping the Dreadnaught for the 10T's would work well but the CC5 also works best with lots of power. I don't know if the Dreadnaught power supply would handle that setup. I would suggest getting a used CA401 and a Cav150. The 401 is an awesome amp and works great with the 10T's. The CAV150 has 6 Bridgeable channels so you could bi-amp or run 2 channels bridged for the CC5 and use the other channels for the surround speakers.
    Earl
    ------------------
    [Edited last by EarlR on September 07, 2001 at 10:28 AM]

12. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Since you are on a limited budget ($2k total), I'd suggest looking at a used Crown K1 for amplification. This pro amp doesn't have a fan & has more than enough power to drive the 10Ts. Sonically, I'd say it sounds as good (if not better) than Rotel's or Parasound's offerings. You can rent these amps (so demoing will be easy). This will give you more cash to pick up a better 2ch pre/pro.
    Greg

13. Ken Stokes

Ken Stokes Agent

Earl,
    When I first called Mike Kelly it was to ask about bridging a Classe amp that I could have gotten a very good buy on. The technical explanation was way over my head but he said it wouldn't work. For the price and number of channels the Dreadnaugt was my best answer. Hopefully a little down the road I can pick up another Dreadnaught or better yet a pair of Citadels!
    Ken

14. EarlR

EarlR Stunt Coordinator

Ken
    That surprises me as I ran my system with a CA300 and bridged CAV150 for several years. The system at the time was the 10T's, CC3 and SR3's. This setup sounded great and I never had any problems with clipping or anything else.
    Earl
    ------------------

15. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Ken and others speak the truth. As I understand it, a Proceed HPA-3 "strained" with the 10Ts! For those not in the know, the Proceed is a brute of an amp. This is not child's play!
    I would recommend the Cinepro amp that puts out a bazillion watts for one. Maybe a Dreadnaught. But not sure it musters much more actual power than an HPA series amp. I would look for 400-600 watts per channel were I in the market for 10Ts, which I myself lusted after for a long time. But I compromised for Sonus faber Concerto Grand Pianos, a less expensive and more efficient speaker. [​IMG]
    Bryston powerhouse could be another pick. I know Steve B over at AVS runs 4 10Ts and Bryston power.
    Lex
    ------------------
    Lexman's Theater

16. John Morris

John Morris Guest

17. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

"Proceed HPA-3 strained with the 10Ts"
    I thought the HPA-3s were rated at 500 watts/channel with a 4 0hm speaker which is the impedance of the 10Ts. This "brute" can't handle that?