1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Advise on surround sound settings

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by cupojo, Jan 12, 2019.

1. cupojo

cupojo Auditioning

joe s
    Newbie here. I have a basic 5 speaker surround sound set up. Panasonic SA-XR55 Receiver. My question is on the speaker settings, particularly the center speaker where the movie dialogue comes from. Most of the time, the voices are too quiet, or sound muffled. Turning up the volume is not an option, because the rest of the movie gets too loud. So what do i need to do? Adjust? on that center speaker? and how? Thanks.

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    You need to look into the speaker setup menu, find something like speaker levels, then increase the volume of only the center speaker until it sounds right to you. The surround speakers probably aren't at the right level either, since it sounds like no calibration was ever done. However, adjusting this until you get a level you like will solve this problem.

3. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    What John said will absolutely work.
    One of the errors I see in home theatres is the surround speakers are often way too loud. I don' know anything about "receivers" but I'm assuming the good ones have some sort of pink noise and the ability to do some EQing. Get you a sound pressure meter (analog version from Ebay) run the pink noise and set the levels. Set the left, center and right to something like 85db, surrounds at 83db and the sub (if you have one) to something around 90-91db. That will get you in the ballpark and you're all set to EQ the room.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    There's a "test" mode in the settings menu for adjusting the level of each speaker. Page 13 here: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/audio/om/sa-xr55_en_om.pdf

DFurr likes this.