What's new

Advise on surround sound settings (1 Viewer)

cupojo

Auditioning
Real Name
joe s
Newbie here. I have a basic 5 speaker surround sound set up. Panasonic SA-XR55 Receiver. My question is on the speaker settings, particularly the center speaker where the movie dialogue comes from. Most of the time, the voices are too quiet, or sound muffled. Turning up the volume is not an option, because the rest of the movie gets too loud. So what do i need to do? Adjust? on that center speaker? and how? Thanks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You need to look into the speaker setup menu, find something like speaker levels, then increase the volume of only the center speaker until it sounds right to you. The surround speakers probably aren't at the right level either, since it sounds like no calibration was ever done. However, adjusting this until you get a level you like will solve this problem.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
What John said will absolutely work.
One of the errors I see in home theatres is the surround speakers are often way too loud. I don' know anything about "receivers" but I'm assuming the good ones have some sort of pink noise and the ability to do some EQing. Get you a sound pressure meter (analog version from Ebay) run the pink noise and set the levels. Set the left, center and right to something like 85db, surrounds at 83db and the sub (if you have one) to something around 90-91db. That will get you in the ballpark and you're all set to EQ the room.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
There's a "test" mode in the settings menu for adjusting the level of each speaker. Page 13 here: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/audio/om/sa-xr55_en_om.pdf

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Newbie here. I have a basic 5 speaker surround sound set up. Panasonic SA-XR55 Receiver. My question is on the speaker settings, particularly the center speaker where the movie dialogue comes from. Most of the time, the voices are too quiet, or sound muffled. Turning up the volume is not an option, because the rest of the movie gets too loud. So what do i need to do? Adjust? on that center speaker? and how? Thanks.
Something to recognize Mike. Many of today's 5.1 mixes have low dialog to effects/music ratio. They are mixed that way - something many of us complain about all the time.
Good luck with your settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeyT66
Recent bookmarks