What's new

Advise on recievers in the $500.00 Cdn. price range (1 Viewer)

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
I had previously asked about the Sony STR DB840,(thanks again to those who helped me with that), and may still be able to get one in my price range.
But, just in case things don't work out, I would appreciate your advise on recievers in the $500.00 Canadian price range.
Some I've seen are the Yamaha HTR5440, Kenwood VR509, Technics SADX1050. The HK 3370 may also be around $500.00. There are probably some others as well.
I will probably be getting a Mirage FRx speaker system (Energy Encore is a bit too expensive), so the load won't be difficult.
The Kenwood is attractive in that it seems powerful and has DLP II, which the others don't. I haven't heard much about the Technics although I was told it runs hot.
What would you advise?
Thanks in advance,
Larry.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Hi Larry. I sell, and therefore only have first-hand experience with, Technics and HK. The HK3370 is a 2-channel stereo-only receiver and I'm not sure if you realised that. The Technics SA-DX1050 is a pretty decent unit. Sounds much different (better) then the DX950. My only complaint is that is has only 2 S-Video inputs and it's pretty skimpy on the digital inputs with 2 optical and 1 coaxial.
It does run fairly warm, but seems cooler than previous Technics models (including the 950). I'd say it's definitely worth considering and may beat other similarly priced models in sound quality.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Duane_T

Stunt Coordinator
A friend of mine just got the Kenwood 509 - got it for $400 before taxes (Can.). He likes it. I don't know about power, because he's in an apartment and keeps it down. He really likes the DPLII and I think he's pretty happy with the remote. I'll ask him about it this weekend. I haven't really had a chance to listen to it.

ChrisV

Second Unit
I have the Yamaha RX-V496, which seems pretty similar and I've been more than happy with it. It also came in under $500 Cdn. Although I haven't owned a newer Kenwood, I used to have an older model, and it really wasn't very good. Although DPL2 would be tempting.

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
I'll throw another vote in for the Yamaha. I have an HTR-5170, which was more than $500.00, but I'm sure that the model you spec'd is reliable. Check out audioreview.com for some other opinions.
Regards,
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you all for your input. Any futher responses would be appreciated. Duane, please let me know how your friends Kenwood is doing. John, as far as Denon is concerned, I have yet to find one in my price range, though I agree they are excellent units.
I also would like to ask about a couple of other recievers I can get at a reasonable price. Future Shop,(now owned by Best Buy, by the way), has the JVC RX-8000VBK at $399.99,(clearance item), also I can get the Sony STR-DE845 for $450.00, (replaced by the DE875).
Please give me your opinions on these two units.
Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!
Larry.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
You can find Yamaha RXV-800 and 1000's for around $700-$900 if you stretch your budget. I'm sure you could get an RX-V800 for about $600-700 if you barter. Go to Audio Video 2001. Its worth a try. The RXV800's are quite a step up.

Users who are viewing this thread