advise on new dvd player(upconverting)

JasonS

Stunt Coordinator
My current dvd player is starting to freeze on me, so I'm in the market for a new, upconverting model. First a couple of questions. My tv is a Panasonic PT-47wx53.

Can I get the 1080i signal through component inputs, or do I need to go dvi?

Which is better, 1080i or 720p. It's worth it to get a player that sends a 1080i than a standard, progressive scan player, isn't it?

Any suggestions on an upconverting player?

Thanks for your help.

~J

Frost

Auditioning
Real Name
David Sherar
OPPO makes just about the best upconverting player out there, for the price. Caution on the faroudja chip'd 971 unit, but your panasonic set might not be affected by any macroblocking. Yep, for the money the OPPO is hard to beat.

The Sony line of upconverting players are also good value for the money as is the panasonic line.

I have heard not-so-good things being said about the Samsung upconverters (860, 960).

Best of luck - There's alot of choice out there for upconverting players, and they are an excellent way of preserving one's existing investment on SD discs, while we all wait for the HD-DVD war to be over with one, clear winner that will commit to replicating all the exisitng titles out there with their new format.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo