Advise on 1803 enclosure needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JimPeitersen, Jan 25, 2002.

1. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

I am currently planning the enclosure for my 1803, and cannot decide which would be best. The 10 cu.ft. vented (10" vent) which I would have to build, or a smaller LT-type enclosure which I already have (21", 7 cu.ft. sonotube). I will have (shortly) a BFD 1100 to smooth the response. My problem is the amp. Right now I have a spare Audiosource AmpThree that puts out about 500 watts mono (and is actually quite stable into a 4 ohm mono load.) I had a deal planned for a Mackie 1400, but it fell through. Should I build the larger vented enclosure, and keep my current amp? Would it be better to go with the smaller enclosure and buy a larger amp (QSC, Crown, Mackie, Stewart, etc.)? Thanks for any advise.

JP

2. It sorta comes down to how loud you want it to do.

With the ported, your ears will max out on wanted SPL before the drivers potential runs out.

with the 500w into 200L (~7ft), you can hit ~106db @ 20hz! IMO, that is nothing to sneeze at. If you decide to get a larger amp and jump to 1000watts, you only gain 3db, and become "linearly" displacement limited at ~17hz, and will bottom out at

3. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

Anthony

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will go with the 7 cu.ft. sealed enclosure and use the BFD to smooth the response. You have the 1503's don't you? Do you remember if they are rated for upward/downward mounting? I was thinking of using my 1803 in downfire mode, but then I thought that the weight of the cone might preclude this.

JP

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jim,

I checked with Pat back before I bought my 1803 and downward firing is fine. I'm going with a 4-5ft^3 sealed enclosure heavily stuffed along with a BFD. Now if I can just find a good deal on a used Crown K2...

Brian

5. Mike.D.K

Mike.D.K Stunt Coordinator

Jim I completed a 1803 sonotube a couple of weeks ago. 10cubic ft tuned to 18hz. The more it breaks in the better it sounds. It shakes everything in the house. I am waiting on another driver for my other sub. Pat has sent me 4 1803's but only one has arrived undamaged.