Advise about BenQ PB6100 digital projector and my theater setup

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Brian Stash, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Brian Stash

Brian Stash Auditioning

Hello All,

I've recently read an article in Money magazine about digital projectors and was thinking of purchasing a BenQ PB6100. I'm completely new to this whole digital projector world and have been doing much research about them. I really love watching movies at home.

I can buy the PB6100 on buy.com for:
    $898
    -$100
    (If buy.com is an 'authorized reseller' using the rebate from Ben Q.... any info about this??)
    - 27 if I use their credit card
    Total
    $771 (no taxes and free shipping) ( great price for a brand new unit)

Let me give you my setup currently:

The room I want to put this in is my 19X17 living room. (No basement... 1 level house) with 4 windows. (I have shades and blinds; do you think this will be a problem with the ambient light? I’ll just be watching normal TV during the day, doing my movie watching at night) I will be projecting onto an off while flat paint wall. I guess I'll be sitting this on a shelf about 6 foot high and about 18 feet from the wall I want to project on. The wall area is about 8X8 and the couch will sit about 13 feet back.

Toshiba 42h82 42' wide screen HD TV (wish I would have never dropped the 1200 bucks on this if I knew about these)
    Sony STR-DE-685 Receiver
    Sony DVP-NC655P 5 disc progressive scan DVD Player
    Sony CDP-CX355 300 disc CD player
    COX Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000HD Digital Video Recorder Cable Box (Component Video Output, but thinking of scrapping it due to only having 5 HD channels, BUT damn do they look great)

Crappy KLH HTA-9006 5 speaker Home-Theater Speaker System with 8 inch powered subwoofer
    2 Kenwood KVS-400 speakers with 2 8 inch subwoofers in each

I think this may be a good beginner level projector to get my ears wet without having to drop a ton of money. This is strictly a WANT not NEED. My only hang up is that I like watching my DVD's in widescreen format, but don't think I can find a projector with widescreen for this price. Your recommendations for another unit are welcome. And your comments and suggestions for my situation are much appreciated.

Brian

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

You alrady have a nice TV, so I suggest spending the money on weaker components in your system a better receiver and speakers would maake more sense.

Brent

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

4. SteveMass

SteveMass Auditioning

I just bought a Benq 6100. This projector is native 4:3 - but it will play 16:9 widescreen DVDs just fine. It has a 16:9 mode.

So far I am projecting on a maroon colored wall and the picture is excellent. When I get my new screen I expect things to be breathtaking. You will not be dissappointed by the Benq - nice unit, great picture.

5. Brian Stash

Brian Stash Auditioning

This is why I've gotten soo excited about a projector... Adjectives are being thrown around like 'amazing', 'jaw-dropping', and 'I have not stopped grinning for a week' these are adjectives that I've never used when describing my Toshiba 42 inch.

I defiantly need to upgrade the surround sound speakers at some point, I'm defiantly not getting what I want out of them, but I think I will stick with the receiver for now... just got it last year.

I'm still on the fence... Any other advice?

Will the projector need to be 100% centered on the wall I'm projecting on?

Any other advice and opinions are very helpful.