Advice/Suggestions on recent Korean films?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam_S, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I'm working on a paper on Korea (about the dissolution of the extended family into a western style atomized family brought about by industrialization suberbia other elements etc), and while a films are not required for the paper, I'd like to go the extra mile and view some korean cinema. Of course they need to be subtitled in English, and available on vhs or dvd (available region one would be nice but that's probably nonexistent or nearso). Any suggestions of recent films (past ten to twenty years), particulary domestic dramas, or realating to domestic issues would be fantastic, although any excellent film would do, if only to get a feel for it.

All suggestions very welcome!

Thanks,
    Adam

2. Al Shing

Al Shing Stunt Coordinator

One that I know of that is available at Best Buy is "Shiri". It was popular in Korea and Japan.

Another one that appears to have a cult following is "My Sassy Girl" that is not available for Region 1. If you can do Region 3, you can try to order one from Yesasia.com, but I think they're out of stock.

3. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Tai Seng recently released the Korean hit fantasy film Volcano High onto DVD. Best Buy might have it, but you might have to go to Tower Records or order it someplace online to view it.

4. Joel_F

Joel_F Extra

You might want to check out the recently released comedy "Mong Jung Ghi". It's kind of the Korean version of "American Pie". More about puberty than about family actually, but more geared toward family than anything that has been mentioned. According to dvdasian.com it's region free (even though the disc says R3 on the back), they're very reliable about that sort of thing.

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvda...ml?id=QDmsczgk

"Christmas in August" from director Jin Ho Hur is another good one to check out. It's about a man who owns a photo shop and his love for a meter maid who comes in to develop pictures. There are some scenes involving his family as well. This disc is also region free.

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/14491.html

"One Fine Spring Day", also from Jin Ho Hur, is a film about love beginning and ending. It's a gorgeous movie that I highly, highly recommend. There are scenes involving the guy's relationship with his family, especially his Grandmother and her dealing with the loss of her husband (which I think happened several years prior). Bad news is that the Korean release has no English subs, and the HK disc (which does have English subs) is region 3. But it can be had for a mere $5!

http://www.dddhouse.com/cms/dddhouse...productID=1891

I've heard that "Peppermint Candy" is a very good film about the Korean experience, but I've never seen it and don't know much about it. The Korean disc is region free and has English subs.

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/10863.html

Hope this helps you.

Edit: Just realized that you're in LA, you can buy Korean DVDs for reasonable prices at Music Plaza on the third floor of Koreatown plaza. It's located at 928 S Western.

5. Joel_F

Joel_F Extra

"The Way Home" by Jeong-Hyang Lee ("Art Museuem By the Zoo") is a film that fits the bill actually. It's coming to R1 DVD on May 6th, but you might still be able to catch it in the theater (it was released by Paramount a few months ago). I saw the Korean DVD at Music Plaza, but it didn't say if it had English subs or if it was region coded.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0312841

6. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

7. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

Well, I would strongly suggest that you read through the numerous films that are mentioned in this thread...

HERE

or go here:
    http://www.koreanfilm.org/

Cheers,

8. Joel_F

Joel_F Extra

Wow, thanks for the link to that thread Gary, I need to go out and buy some new movies [​IMG]

Tim, which disc of "My Sassy Girl" do you have? Mine is the Korean R3 regular edition. I've tried it in R1 players and it doesn't work. I understand that the version which came in the tin was R0 but it has been out of print for over a year, and the LE version I've heard is R3.

9. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

Well, to tell you the truth, I rented it from a local store that specializes in Asian films. But I know it was the Starmax disc and it said Region 3 on the back, but I know that often the discs work on R1 players anyway. I don't think it was a bootleg, unless maybe the Region Coding was stripped somehow? I'm not sure.

10. Joel_F

Joel_F Extra

I've got the Starmax disc and this is one of my girlfriend's favorite movies. She couldn't play it on her DVD player though so I couldn't get her a copy. I did hear that the Starmax limited edition Tin version (which was also a coin bank) was region 0 despite saying region 3. Maybe that was the version you rented. It's out of print now though.

If you do find a region free version I would really like to know about it so I can buy one for her. Thanks!