What's new

Advice sought ... thinking about drilling two small holes in my VCR (1 Viewer)

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Long story, but the short version is I want to mount my A/B switch to the side of my VCR, and I'm looking for advice.

The options as I see them are:
  • double-stick tape or something like that,
  • self-adhesive velcro, or
  • bolts.
I'm leaning towards the last one. Double stick tape is something I've just never had a good experience with. Either it never holds to start with or I wind up needing to remove whatever I've attached with it and I can't get all the residue off. Velcro has both problems also.

With bolts (actually, given the size I'm talking about, threaded rod with nuts), I'll have to drill two very small (#4 or #6 diameter, which I think is no more than 3 mm) holes in the side of the VCR cover, which means taking the cover off (which I've never done), but I know it will hold, and I know that if I ever remove the A/B switch, I just remove the fasteners and other than the two very small holes, there's no sign there was ever anything there.

So, go on ... tell me why I shouldn't do this. :)

Also acceptable: give me options I haven't considered here.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Funny thing is, back when I had a cabinet with a pegboard-type back, I did use cable ties to hold it in place.

I really miss that cabinet.

MarkDesMarais

Stunt Coordinator
How about an L bracket where the VCR sits on the long leg, with the short leg sticking up where you want to mount your switch?

PaulT

Supporting Actor
How about the same L-Bracket held on by one of the case screws if they are on the side of the unit. You could stick the bracket in a vice and bend it to a fair amount of shapes.

MichaelAngelo

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,
I know how annoying double sided tape can be. Have you tried an auto parts store, look for the adhesive tape that holds side molding on. Its very thick(1/8" usu) and holds like crazy. You remember the stuff that department stores used to hold remotes on the stereos to keep them on? That tan tape stuff? That is kinda what automotive trim adhesive is like. Hope this helps.

Yours truly,
an old gearhead

edit: just read marks post-- you could shim the side opposite the L bracket with a washer to level out. Hope this helps.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Paul
Have you tried an auto parts store, look for the adhesive tape that holds side molding on.
While I believe that stronger tape would hold, I still worry about residue if I decide later to remove it. Still, that's a good suggestion. Thanks!

Last night's developments:

I tried the L-bracket idea with a spare I had on hand and it fits very nice and snug under the VCR, which surprised me pleasantly. This particular bracket isn't big enough (it's legs are only about 2-1/2 inches long and I'll need about 3-1/4 inches), so I'll have to see what else I can find. I might wind up for stability using sticky tape (like the kind Michael mentions above) to adhere the free leg of the bracket to the underside of the VCR, because I won't care about residue left there.

However, I was explaining this idea to the missus, and she's going to bring me some stuff from work she calls "museum wax" to try. It's stickier than fun-tack and stronger than double-stick tape, she says, but is removeable without residue (a very significant consideration in her line of work). I'm gonna give that a try for a couple of weeks (we're a little worried about what being in constant contact with something that is nearly always slightly warm will do to the wax) and then revisit this whole thing then.

Thanks all for the excellent brain-storming session!

MarkDesMarais

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like you are on your way!

I don't know how big you wanted to make it, but what I was visualizing was more like a plate that would go under at least two of the vcrs feet- maybe even all four, before running up the side. Might be overkill, but it would sure be stable!

Markd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks