What's new

Advice requested please: Should I open A.I. DVD-Audio? Why or why not? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Yesterday, I picked up the A.I.: Artificial Intelligence DVD-Audio soundtrack because I like the movie, John Williams's work, heard that the soundtrack is good, and thought that it would be a good place to start delving into DVD-Audio.

I haven't yet opened it (it's still in re-sell condition) due to the small handful of DVD-Audio reviews I've been able to find since buying the disc and am considering returning it.

Some mention that it doesn't fully showcase the benefits of the DVD-Audio format in terms of sonic quality possible with this format, others indicate that a humming noise (similar to an air conditioner fan) is prevalent on a number of tracks. A couple of others either recommend or highly recommend it.

Maybe I'd be better off just getting the soundtrack on CD.

Please give me your opinions, otherwise I will likely return it next Sunday.

Thanking you in advance,
Andrew

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Do you have a DVD player capable of playing DVD-Audio? If not, stop right here.
If so, I'd be eager to hear your review of the disc. I think that since you are a bit worried about getting ripped off, you'll be listening very closely.
Anyway, early adopters take risks. It spices things up, don't you think? I've been rewarded with DVD-A and DAD more than I've been burned :D
-JNS

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Jagan, thank-you for your kind reply.

At this very moment, I don't have a DVD-Audio capable player. In spite of this, the disc would fulfil some instant gratification by allowing me to listen to the soundtrack in 5.1 on my regular DVD player. If I keep it, I would be more inclined to get a DVD-Audio player.

In future, if I do get a DVD-Audio player, my hope would be that the sonic difference would be worth the extra price of the disc.

More thoughts are welcome. Otherwise, due to the mixed reviews uncovering the points mentioned in my initial post, and my perceived uncertainty of the life of this niche audio format, I'm currently leaning toward returning the disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks