advice requested on home theatre wiring...

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by MarkSherm, Dec 27, 2003.

1. MarkSherm

MarkSherm Auditioning

Hi all.
    Just received (for Christmas) a Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD Player/Recorder (records both DVD-Rs and DVD Rams) and have acquired something akin to a headache while trying to hook it up. I have been trying to add it to my present system:
    1)Toshiba 40H30 Widescreen Projection TV,
    2)Kenwood KR-300HT DTS Prologic Receiver w/ 6 speakers,
    3)Dish Network PVR508 Satellite Receiver and Video Recorder (has just "Output 1" and "Output 2" options..no "input"),
    4)Toshiba SD-3750 DVD Player.

I have been using the analog yellow/white/red cables rather than the S video....but if you guys believe S video is the way to go then feel free to include that in your comments.

Anyway, I would like the system hooked up in a manner to provide the following benefits:
    1)all sound to come through the Kenwoood Receiver (I have turned the TV speakers off)
    2)Panasonic DVD Player/Recorder to be able to play DVDs and to record programs from the Dish Network receiver (both current programs as well as programs stored on the PVR)
    3)Panasonic DVD Player/Rec to be able to record DVDs played from the Toshiba DVD Player

Any advice would be much appreciated. I don't know a lot of home theater terminology, so please word your advice in laymen's terms when possible.

Again, thank you!

2. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

Mark

I would have to look at the manuals to see what connections the components have-and I'm too tired to do that [​IMG]

soooo

try to use S-video when possible (much better than composite) and remember that it only supports video NOT audio.

The rest you should be able to figure out by reading your manuals and using diagrams.

good luck

rogo

3. MarkSherm

MarkSherm Auditioning

Thanks for the advice, Rogo. I will go out and purchase some more S video cables today.
    By playing around with the components and wiring, I was able to hook most everything up. The TV can play satellite programming and PVR-recorded programming from the Dish Satellite Receiver when TV is set to "Input 1". The DVD Player/Recorder can play DVDs on the TV when the TV is set to "Input 2". All sound works fine through the Kenwood Receiver when receiver is set on "Video 1". I have not yet tried to hook up the other Toshiba DVD Player to the DVD Recorder/Player....don't even know if possible to record DVDs in such a manner or not.
    I guess the biggest problem I have is that I am unable to burn programming from the Satellite Receiver onto a DVD using the Recorder/Player. Whenever I try, I basically get "static" - I assume that the Recorder/Player is recording a TV channel other than what the Satellite Receiver is playing.
    I'll continue to play around with it and hopefully figure it out.
    Thanks.

4. MarkSherm

MarkSherm Auditioning

i've got it all working now! Thanks for your help.