What's new

Advice please (1 Viewer)

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
I am looking to get a starter ht. I have a stereo reciever and 2 speakers and a sub right now. With some money I hope to get around Christmas time, I would like to start putting my system together. I don't believe I will get very much money, so what should I do... get a reciever and then when I graduate from college get the speakers (can't decide between the energy take 5 or the jbl nsp1's so any experience/advice you have on that would be appreciated as well) or get like the kenwood htib. I would really appreciate any input. Thanks.

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
What speakers do you have now? Would you want to build on them or start with a new brand?

You could get a decent entry level receiver now in the $200-400 range and then add speakers a little at a time as you get money. Instead of a speaker package you could start with a pair of decent entry level bookshelf: JBL S26, Paradigm, PSB, Monitor Audio Bronze, Axiom, Rocket, and so on. Then you can add a center, and later add the rears. That way you will end up with something better and you will be able to relish each improvement.

Good luck with graduation. What is your degree and job prospects? Do you have a part time job now?

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Brian,
My speakers are Cerwin Vega towers that I bought when I graduated from hs. That is kinda what I am thinking. I was considering eithr an Onkyo or Yamaha for the reciever, I just haven't had to much of a chance to try them out. I really want to just get a speaker package - get it all done at once. I haven't graduated yet. Hopefully I will in May or June. My degree is Christian Ministries, I don't have any job prospects yet, I work pt in a group home.

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Jeff,

What stores do you have in your area to look for equipment? Are you in Missouri?

I have been looking for a small set up for my daughter, who is just going off to college. Since she works at Best Buy, I will probably get a Yamaha 5540. Onkyo is good too. I will probably wait for the new version of Monitor Audio Bronze to come out, but I did consider the Acoustic Research HC6 package. You can get it from etronics for less than $400, and it has had some nice reviews. It has silk dome tweeters and the cabinets are finished in a nice black piano gloss so it looks more distinguished than the plastic box JBL NSP1's. That might be a nice set up for you since as a youth minister you may be moving around some while you are young and those Cerwin Vegas are pretty cumbersome. So when are you going to start grad school? HA! take a short break.

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Brian,
Yes, I am in Missouri. Close by there is a CC, BB, and a few audio shops I stumbled upon a couple of days ago but haven't had a chance to go in them yet. There is a store, Stereo One, that advertises on tv about being a big ht place, but like I said, I haven't went there yet. The reason I am considering the nsp1's and the take 5's is because many people on the forum have really bragged them up, I haven't actually got to listen to them. My original choice of reciever was a Yammy, but with the praise that is lauded upon Onkyo, I have considered it to. You are definatley right about the vegas being cumbersome! We would probably keep them and maybe put them in the bedroom or something.

JayM

Stunt Coordinator
Spend the most money on your speakers, they will never be out of date, a good speaker 20 years ago, is usually a good speaker 20 years from now.

I would get the receiver, use the speakers you have now.Then when you get some money save up, buy a good set of speakers or even try building your own. Audioreview.com has a kit that you can put together, it consist of 5 sats that sound very good.

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Jay,
I looked at audioreview's website the other day but I didn't know how the speakers sounded and was therefore reluctant to really consider it at the time.

Also, I seen a reciever on BB's website that got my attention, the Kenwood VR-6050. It is pretty cheap for the features. I don't have any firsthand experience with Kenwood recievers so any input would be appreciated. If you like or don't like them for any reason, please tell me and tell the reason. Thanks.

JayM

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, how much are you looking to spend on your receiver?

Once you tell me that info, i will be able to help you from there.

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
grrr... I had this long post yesterday but they were doing maintenece on the board so I'll try to remember some of what I had.

Budget for the reciever - about $300

Brian,
Any reason in particular you would stick with the Yamaha? That is the one I am leaning towards but I have heard some good things about the Onkyo and NSP combo.

JayM

Stunt Coordinator
$300 for a receiver?

You could get an ok new reciever, or a decent used receiver for that price. Check the Hardware for sale board. I have bought quite a few things off there and got great deals.

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Hey Jeff,

I just came through Missouri today. Great pie shop in Rolla. Did you decide on anything yet? I have just heard more positive comments on quality for the yamaha. My ex still has my 795 after 5 years and it has never had a problem. I was reading another post by a newbie and he was looking at a package by Atlantic Technology that had good reviews. Do a google search.

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Brian,
I take it you were taking I-44? I think I have my heart set on a Yamaha.

Jay,
I know $300 isn't much to some people, but it is a fortune to me. I just want to get my foot in the door and not have a piece of junk system.

JayM

Stunt Coordinator
Hell $300 is a lot of money for me also, I was just confirming that you have $300 to spend on the receiver.

There is a pretty decent hamon Kardon receiver for sale on the hardware for sale forum right now for around that price. Keep checking that board, you can find great deals there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks