Advice please - Sony or Outlaw

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Kealey, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Kevin Kealey

Kevin Kealey Auditioning

Looking for some input. I am trying to decide between an Outlaw 1050 and the Sony STR-DA3ES. Both can be had for about $500, but I'm not sure which would work better for me. System will run a DefTech C2 center, a pair of ProTower 400s in front, and a pair of as yet undecided DefTech surrounds. Not looking to go a rear center as yet. If there is anything else I should consider, please feel free to chime in. Thanks for whatever input you folks can provide.[​IMG]

2. Kevin Kealey

Kevin Kealey Auditioning

Gee, 89 views and no opinions. C'mon guys, somebody out there must have an opinion. Help?

3. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

FWIW-

The Outlaw is a little DATED and the DA3ES has more bells and whistles. This was my exact choices before I purchased the DA5ES.

From what I understand, the Outlaw SOUNDS real good!

Just my .02 cents

4. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

I don't own either. BFWIW don't buy a receiver because of it's bells and whistles. Buy one that sounds great cause that's what you will ultimately judge it by.

I have the 3802 and find myself listening to mostly DD,DTS,DP2 and stereo.

Just my .02 cents.

5. Ashford Little

Ashford Little Stunt Coordinator

Kevin, I just ordered the Outlaw 1050 this afternoon. I haven't heard the Sony model you are considering, but I did consider other makes including Denon, HK, Onkyo etc. The Outlaw model does lack DPLII and a few other features included by other manufacturers, but one thing kept sticking in my mind. The weight of the product.

Most recievers in this class weigh 25-28 lbs. while the Outlaw weighs about ten pounds more. My unscientific rational for this is a more substantial power supply. I'll know tomorrow.

The 1050 has received excellent reviews, but if not satisfied they do offer their 30 return policy. Incidentally, the 1050 wasn't my first choice, but due to the never-ending wrangling of attorney, consumer cannot buy a preamp/proc with IEEE1394 and DVI yet to handle the digital output of a DVD-A or SACD player.

I plan to use the 1050 and enjoy it until these advances come to market.

My .02

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I've not heard the Sony model you're looking at, but I've auditioned quite a few of them. I've never heard a Sony in your price range (or anywhere near it) that sounds as good as the Outlaw... but isn't the STR-DA3ES more like $800? At any rate, I'm not a Sony basher by any means - they make some very good products - but I've never, ever liked the way their receivers sound.

(The mid-priced ones anyway.)

As mentioned, you're likely to find more bells and whistles on the Sony, meaning digital processing stuff. But IMO what you should really look into are (1) the bass management capabilities and flexibilities of these two units as compared to your needs; and (2) "upgradeability". For this latter concern, I'd make damn sure it's got 5.1 inputs in case you go DVD-audio or SACD (I think both units do - the Outlaw definitel does). And I'd make damn sure it's got 5.1/6.1 pre-outs, in case you decide to add a separate amp down the road (again, I think both units have this - definitely the Outlaw).

In other words, make sure it's got the beef before you worry about the toppings. Sound quality, bass management capabilities and upgradeability are far more important than DPL-II (IMO, just another flavor-of-the-month DSP). So, satisfy yourself that it has all the real important features, and then let your ears be your guide!

7. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

The Outlaw is a bit dated in terms of it's surround processing so I'd consider waiting just a little bit. Outlaw has previously said that they will be introducing two new products this year, one around the All Star game and the other around the World Series. I'm sure they are well aware of where the 1050 stands in terms of processing and I'd be willing to bet their first release will be a updated receiver.

8. DelRay

DelRay Stunt Coordinator

The sony has 5.1 and 7.1 inputs. It also has 7.1 outputs. Pretty flexible I'd say. I believe it weighs in at about 45 pounds. Give or take. For $500 new, I'd say thats a steal. Check out the crutchfield website for more info.

9. Kevin Kealey

Kevin Kealey Auditioning

Thanks for the inputs. The Sony does indeed list at $800, but various web retailers sell them for about $525 every day. I am also now looking at the Denon 2802 which is in about the same ballpark purchased through the net, and it gives me NEO:6 decoding as well. Thanks again for the input and advice. Any other thoughts are more than welcome.

10. Brett Miles

Brett Miles Stunt Coordinator

Alex took the words out of my mouth. FWIW I just received a DA5ES last Monday. I ended up going with it over the 3802. I would have liked to consider the Outlaw, but I just find it too dated at this point. I thought about waiting for the new product announcement, but then I thought about how long the people waited/are waiting on the 950 and just went ahead with the Sony available right now.

11. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

You can get the outlaw 1050 used on audiogon.com or wait for the new version. I love my outlaw 1050.

12. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

FYI, I e-mailed Outlaw today to find out if they are still planning on announcing any new products as they promised earlier. They wouldn't say what the product will be but they did say that they will still make an announcement before the All Star game. That's not too long to wait...