What's new

Advice please: Smallvile S2 or Buffy S4 ? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i'm stuck and could use some advice.
because of store policy on exchanges, i'm stuck having to pick up another expensive boxed set.
about the only two i am interested in are Smallville S2 and Buffy S4.

on both of these, i've only seen a handful of the eps as originally broadcast.
this was probably my least favorite Buffy season, but i 've recently become more interested in checking it out after finishing some of the other seasons.

Smallville, on the other hand, was quite fun when i originally saw them, but i just haven't had a strong desire to re-visit them.

anyways, thats where i'm at.
which of the two would you recommend over the other and why?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i'm stuck and could use some advice.
because of store policy on exchanges, i'm stuck having to pick up another expensive boxed set.
about the only two i am interested in are Smallville S2 and Buffy S4.

on both of these, i've only seen a handful of the eps as originally broadcast.
this was probably my least favorite Buffy season, but i 've recently become more interested in checking it out after finishing some of the other seasons.

Smallville, on the other hand, was quite fun when i originally saw them, but i just haven't had a strong desire to re-visit them.

anyways, thats where i'm at.
which of the two would you recommend over the other and why?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Season 4 is Buffy's best season; it balances macro and micro story, makes good use of all its characters, (heck, Spike hasn't worn out his welcome yet), and has the series's best episode in "Hush".

Smallville all kind of runs together for me.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Season 4 is Buffy's best season; it balances macro and micro story, makes good use of all its characters, (heck, Spike hasn't worn out his welcome yet), and has the series's best episode in "Hush".

Smallville all kind of runs together for me.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I would also have to suggest going with Buffy: Season 4... if no other reason then the excellent episode Hush. Season 4 wasn't my favorite of seasons either... but you have Hush as Jason mentioned... plus the start of Willow and Tara.

I am also a big fan of Smallville and season 2 is also worth getting but in my opinion... Buffy would always come first :p

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Same here. As much as I like Smallville (just rewatched Rosetta and Exodus last night)...Buffy comes first.

StacyV

Second Unit
I'd recommend the Smallville set, simply because I've got it (I don't have the Buffy set.) I realize that's a lame reason, but it's all I got. :D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
alright Stacy.
your argument was the most persuasive so that's what i went with.

actually, about an hour after i posted this i went back and snagged the Smallville set.
after the binge i took a couple weeks back, i'm a little burned out on Buffy at the moment.
Season 4 is definitely in my sights now, but i will most likely wait until S7 comes out and see if there are any package deals to be found.

after making it thru the second disc of Smallville, i would say it's definitely the weaker of the two properties.
when its good, its excellant, and makes a strong contribution to the Superman myth- when it reverts to formula though, which is quite often unfortunately, it becomes real tedious, real fast.
at least i know there are some great eps up ahead.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Smallville Season 2 has some of the series' best. Episodes like Insurgence and Rosetta helped raise the bar of what could be expected from the show, Precipice took a different angle by giving a glimpse of what Clark the vigilante would run into in the real world, and episodes like Suspect and Accelerate were noble attempts at employing different genres within the show.

Even the lesser episodes are merely so-so, although the less said about the last two episodes the better.

Season 3 was alot more divided between awful and excellent.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Smallville Season 2 has some of the series' best. Episodes like Insurgence and Rosetta helped raise the bar of what could be expected from the show, Precipice took a different angle by giving a glimpse of what Clark the vigilante would run into in the real world, and episodes like Suspect and Accelerate were noble attempts at employing different genres within the show.

Even the lesser episodes are merely so-so, although the less said about the last two episodes the better.

Season 3 was alot more divided between awful and excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks