Advice or Opinion on B&K Stuff

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kenny C, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Kenny C

Kenny C Agent

Hello Experts [​IMG]
    I am about or hope to buy some B&K Stuff
    I am looking into the Ref 30 and the Ref 7250.
    I am not sure if I want to go the extra mile and get the 7270.
    For the money, is this the best bang for the bucks ?
    My current setup it
    NHT 2.5i Front
    NHT VS1.2 Center
    NHT Super Ones Rear
    HSU Research Sub.
    I currently have a Denon 3200 receiver and would like to go seperates for once. I thought about the AVR 307 but I am tired of a A/V reciever. I want to be a real Audiophil Junkie [​IMG]
    Please post any comments about my future decision.
    Thanks
    Kenny

2. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Kenny,

All i can say is i think you will be very happy with the Ref30/7250-70 setup. Top notch performance is what you can expect.

3. wayne

wayne Auditioning

That is my real name
    I have a B&K Stereo amp, and am looking to make the same move you are thinking about. From all the research I've done I've heard only/mostly great things about B&K and they seem to be known for a great bang for the buck company.
    Wayne[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Built like tanks and the Ref series amps are really powerful and provide much heardroom to make way for all that low level detail and clarity that your system is capable of providing.

5. Ron Hanson

Ron Hanson Agent

You'll like the B&K stuff. Built really well and sound sweet. The bass managment and room equalization are a great plus. They are slow at upgrades but they will come out with DPLII and DTS ES discrete once Motorola gets the software working.
    Their receivers 305/307 really are the ref30 preamp built on top of an amplifier. All the preamp components and software is identical. I suppose you could argue that having the amps in the same case as a preamp may effect the sound but B&K says it doesnt. The amps in the receiver use the same module style circuit boards with the same output devices (just fewer of them)as all the Reference series amps so you're assured they would blend well.
    If you really want a seperate amp for your mains, a good trick is to change the front channel amplifiers in a 305 to drive zone 2 or the rears. Its a simple connector swap after taking the cover off.
    details are here:
    http://24.118.218.4:81/theater/images/B&K/b&k.htm
    Considering the 305 retails only $200 more than the ref30, your getting a good quality 5channel 150watt amp for $200.
    Heck, you could still go with 7250 amp and use a 305 to power rears and zone 2 and still be cheaper than a ref30 and a 7270.
    Good Luck

6. John Kovach

John Kovach Extra

I own a B&K Ref 20 and have been pleased with the sound. However, I have been extremely disappointed in the long wait for (overpriced) upgrades (new Ref 20 upgrade finally out at a cost of $800). I feel that their tech support is lacking as well. Luckily, the unit is built well enough that you don't really need it. Make sure you are happy with the features of your current unit, not what the dealer says will be upgraded shortly (i.e. DPL2).

7. Bruce Karsten

I also use a Ref 30 and 7270 - no regrets

8. Christian Speights

Christian Speights Stunt Coordinator

I have been eyeing the Ref 30 myself...but I've been doing that for quite a long time. I've been waiting for them to implement DTS-ES and DPLII before jumping on board. I had a chance to listen to audition a Ref 20 some time ago and was immediately impressed.

Unfortunately, the upgrade schedule seems slow (thanks a lot Moto) and I have seen isolated reports of QA issues. so I have been probing the forum for alternatives. The Anthem AVM20 came up as a contender but i think they depend on Moto too (curses!).

Of course, there's always the Outlaw 950...but that one seems to be lost in the hideout somewhere.

I think the Ref 30 is a quality unit, but I second the recommendation that you should be happy with its current feature set if you're planning to pull the trigger on a purchase.

My 2¢

9. Kenny C

Kenny C Agent

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think i will pull the trigger in the next few weeks. Just need to save a few more pennies.
    I will post my results after i get them.
    Thank you again [​IMG]

10. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

Welcome to the forum Kenny.
    Just want to put my .02 in. I recently bought my wife three REF220M for her ML Aeon pair, Cinema center, and a REF2220 for her Scenario surrounds. She loves her system even more than before (we used a Krell amp before) and I actually prefer to listen to music in her office than my HT.
    Have you thought about using a REF3220 for the L/C/R, and a REF2220 for the surrounds? Thought I'd ask.
    In any case I think you will be very happy with any B&K REF. amp you choose. Good luck.[​IMG]
    L

11. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I also give this combo a [​IMG]
    B&K makes quality equipment and I'm sure you will be very pleased with it!

12. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

I also like the B&K gear but have been very leery about them due to their upgrade history. But I'm curious to know how much can a B&K 305 Receiver be had for (net, open box,or used). Also, if I were to get one used or a grey market item, what are my options for buying the DPL2/DTS-ES upgrade. How is the unit upgradable - rs232, EPROM change, etc. And does the unit have to be sent in to the factory or is this something the owner is allowed to perform? What is the expected upgrade price for this "format" upgrade - $800 would be excessive for these features.

Also, how has the reliability been with the B&K?

Gil

13. Ron Hanson

Ron Hanson Agent

Gil,

The upgrade will probably be eprom, dsp and possibly improved DACs. These are all easily changed since they are on cards or plug in. Your dealer would probably need to do it to maintain your warranty. It wouldnt surprise me if it did cost$500-$800 if there is a significant hardware change. The upgrade for the AVR202 was $1000. It basically converted it to an AVR305 minus the amps and component video.

14. JoshuaLehman

JoshuaLehman Auditioning

I have found a dealer who will sell a Ref 7270 for pretty close to cost with full warranty. Email me and I'll refer you to them.
    [email protected]