advice on which TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Dryjanski, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Chris Dryjanski

Chris Dryjanski Auditioning

I am in the market for a new TV. I am torn between a JVC AV32D302 and a 32'' Wega. Both have identical AV jacks which is a big concern for me. THe Wega though has the channel labeling and 16x9 enhancement of course. My question is, Is the Wega worth $300 more? and will I run into additional cost with a Wega having to get a stand that holds an almost 200lb TV? Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

2. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

VVega's are nice TV's, it's the fact of whether you have that extra $300...

3. Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks Stunt Coordinator

Your concern about a new stand is a very valid one. I recently bought a Toshiba 36AFX61 and played hell finding a stand that would accomodate it. It has sidefiring speakers which make it too wide for standard 36 in ready armoires or stands. I ended up having to come off the hip with $540 for a Sanus stand that would handle both the size and weight. It is good you are thinking about this ahead of time. I bought the tv first and then had to do a mad scramble to find a stand. It took alot of the fun out of it.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The JVC is also a nice unit and calibrates very well. It has a pseudo squeeze mode via the service menu. It is not a full 16:9, but it suits most people.

Regards

5. Randy_T

Randy_T Stunt Coordinator

I have a 36" Wega (kv-36fs13) and ran into the same prolem with finding a stand to support it. I ended up going with the matching stand from Sony. I had already budgeted money for a stand, seeing that my old stand would only hold a 32" TV. The stand was worth $200. It not only matches the shape and color of the TV, it also locks the TV onto the stand for safety concerns. If you can afford it, I would go with the Sony. The 16:9 enhanced mode is awesome.

6. Chris Dryjanski

Chris Dryjanski Auditioning

Thanks for the input everyone. I have decided to go with the JVC 32'' D-Series. I was at the store the last 2 days looking along with online research, and the D-Series seems to fit my needs just fine, and at the moment the Wega does not seem to justify the $300 price increase. The TV for quite some time will always be in a smaller room, and side viewing will not be a huge issue infoact non existant for my self, and the glare issue will not be eiter since I am rarely home when it is light out. Hope fully in a few years I can move up to a projection TV, but for now I will save a few $. Thanks for the input.

Chris