What's new

Advice on which cables to buy (I know it's been asked before, sorry) (1 Viewer)

Eddie Wimberly

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all, from your advice I have purchased these items for my home theater.

-Sony Wega 27" KV27FS13

-Kenwood VR-509 Reciever

-JBL NSP1 5 piece speaker set

-Sony SA-WM40 Subwoofer

-Panasonic DVD-RV31K DVD player

I have the TV and DVD player right now and the rest is OTW. I wanted to go ahead and hook up the DVD and check it out on my new TV, but I'm not sure what cables I'm going to need once everything gets here. Anyone want to help me with this?

Michael Cook

Stunt Coordinator
There are many ways to hook it up. One way would be:

1 set of componet cables to run from your dvd straight to the tv.

1 digital coaxial or digital optical (what ever you dvd has) to run from the dvd to the receiver

1 s-video cable to run from you wega to your receiver

1 subwoofer cable to run from your receiver to your sub

12 guage speaker wire. You can get it at home depot fairly cheap.

BruceD

Screenwriter
To be safe, make sure all the cables you buy are designed to work with digital, video, and analog audio. This means cables spec'd as 75 Ohm and NOT 50 Ohm (50 Ohm are only useful for analog audio).

Cables marked as AV cables fit this description, such as the Radio Shack AV Gold series 75 Ohm.

BruceD

Eddie Wimberly

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to run everything to the reciever and have 1 component running from the reciever to the TV. Is this possible? The TV has a component jack, and I believe the reciever does.

Also, what kind of wire should I get? I read about a monster kit at best buy for 99.99, but it doesn't include a component cable. Should I go for high quality wire with this setup or will it even matter?

Eddie Wimberly

Stunt Coordinator
I want to run to the store and buy some connectors to hook up my DVD to my TV, but I want to keep the brand/quality of the HT equal. So, before I run out and buy some connectors, I need to decide on what brand to buy.

I also have Time Warner Digital Cable. The box has a S-video out and a digital out. If I buy an s-video cable now, will I have enough jacks to plug it into the reciever when it arrives?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Uhhhh... let me chime in with an opinion.

For your system, the AR series of cables sold at Home Depot/Best Buy will give you great performance. The $100+ component video cables from Monster are better, but I doubt you could see a difference on the 27" tube. The more expensive cables become a factor when the display sizes go above about 50" - then you might see a difference.

Here is a problem: If you run Component cables to the receiver, you must then run component cables from the receiver to the TV.

But you plug in your SVideo signal from your CATV box - you will not get any video to the TV. You must run a SVideo cable from the receiver to the TV to carry any SVideo signals.

Do you see the problem: your receiver will NOT convert one signal to the other.

My advice: Run Component cables straight from the DVD player to the TV.

Run SVideo cables from the DVD & CATV box to the receiver, and a SVideo from the receiver to the TV.

Leave the TV set to look at the SVideo input and use the receiver to do all the switching. This will make a easy-to-use hookup (great for wife and kids).

But when you sit down to watch a DVD, you can take the extra step of grabbing the TV remote and flipping to the Component feed for the slightly better picture.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks