Advice on upgrading receiver, speakers & sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TerryMcc, Jul 16, 2001.

1. TerryMcc

TerryMcc Auditioning

Jul 14, 2001
    I currently have a Sony 915 reciever with some "best buy" cambridge soundworks speakers (the same size as the bose speakers). We are getting ready to move and my wife is allowing me to get a new audio system! The room we will be in has a vaulted ceiling and is approx 17x15 with one side open to the dining room.
    I'm looking at the following:
    Pioneer VSX-D810S Audio/Video Receiver ($297)
    (Or Pioneer 850 for $385)
    JBL NSP1 package w/ 10 Inch Powered Sub ($449.99)
    JBL S-Center ($142)
    I was thinking about replacing the N-Center that comes with the NSP1 package with the "S-Center" and using the N-Center for the rear center channel. (or am I way off base on how to use the "rear center"?)
    From what I understand this Pioneer receiver will allow me to plug in multiple S-video (DVD & Sat) and have them automatically switched?
    I'm hoping to keep all this under $1000.
    Thoughts? Advice?
  2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Dec 18, 2000
    $1K to work with. My advice would be to see if you can get another $100 or so for in addition to the $1K and use that to buy new speakers. The Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 package with HSU VTF-2 sub (goes for $1,100) would be my vote. Then save up money for a new receiver. The Onkyo TX-DS595, Denon AVR-2801, and Yamaha RX-V620 (HTR-5460) all go for close to $400, give or take. If you are good with woodworking, look at some ACI DIY kits. You will just need to build the speaker cabinets. Other speakers to look at are:
    Energy Take 5 (or 5.2)
    Def Tech Pro Cinema
    Paradigm: Titan mains, Atom rears, and CC170 center
    You can also look around for used speakers too. Perhaps see if you can visit some people in TX that have nOrh speakers and audition them. They go for $850 for the 4.0 package. You can also use a pair of the Cambridge speakers for the rears and get new mains and center and a decent receiver. Avoid Pioneer except for the Elite series. Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, and Outlaw all make wonderful budget (sub $500) receivers that are among the best out there.