What's new

Advice on upgrading my receiver... (1 Viewer)

Jimmy M

Second Unit
Currently, I have anold NEC PLD-710 Pro Logic surround decoder, which feeds into seperate amps for the different channels. It is on its way out, and I want to get a new receiver. With a reletively limited budget, and not a lot of "audio language" knowledge, I looked at some models today at the store. Can anyone give me any pro's or con's about the Sony STRDE-895 or the Pioneer VSX-D812?

I appreciate anything you can tell me, but once more, please keep it in reletively plain english. :)

Jimmy!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Several on the forum dislike the DE series of Sony. A few stick up for it. I know nothing about the Pioneer. What are your basic requirements? Budget? Mostly for movies or music? Do you like to listen a reference (very high) levels?

Jimmy M

Second Unit
I need to keep it around $400. I will be using it mainly for watching movies & TV, though music, radio, & video games will also be part of it. I already own speakers and a subwoofer, and I don't listen at extreme levels. Loud, but not LOUD.

Jimmy!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Well, like I said, I don't know much about the Pioneer, so that one may suit you just fine. You might also take a look at Harmon Kardon. You could get a refurbished 325 for under $400. It has a very good reputation and I tend to like the sound of HK. Also take a look at Yamaha.

AndrewErickson

Stunt Coordinator
I second the Harman Kardon AVR325. I bought one refurbished and it has a very powerful and clean sound.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Most people don't like the lower end sony's so like the others have mentioned listen to or look at the HK, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo in that price range.

Jimmy M

Second Unit
OK, stupid question time: is there a web site that can show me the HK AVR325, and then where might I be able to get a used one?

Can you tell me how many video inputs it has?

Jimmy!

Jimmy M

Second Unit
Thanks everyone. I just ordered the H/K AVR325. I couldn't justify the added expense for two-day shipping, so I have to wait for UPS Ground.

Do any of you who own one have any advice about hooking it up? Like things which may not be obvious in the manual, or just stuff that you've discovered on your own?

Thanks!

Jimmy!

Drew_W

Screenwriter
It's really quite simple to use, and it looks very elegant.

Best hookup advice is get an SPL meter and calibrate. The EzSet mic will probably bring you close (never used mine, but the Auto MCACC on my Pioneer Elite brought it really close to ideal levels), but you'll always want to use an SPL meter to double check. The difference before and after calibration is night and day.

Besides that, enjoy...you should get excellent mileage out of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks